Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I need expert advice on something..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
hickaseer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I need expert advice on something..

I have a wheat allergy, not to be confused with gluten allergy. When I read labels on beers and they say "malts", is it safe since most beers list wheat in their ingredients? What exactly is a "malt"? Does is contain wheat ever? How do I know? Thanks guys and gals

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Malted grain is grain that has sprouted and developed enzyme that are capable of converting the starches in the grain to sugars.

Malt is usually a concentrate ( Liquid malt extract ) LME or (dried malt extract) DME. This is a concentrated product made from the sugars produced by the enzymes when the starches have been converted.

Malts can be made from a lot of ingredients including but not limited to wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice and on and on.

bosco

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
hickaseer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
Malted grain is grain that has sprouted and developed enzyme that are capable of converting the starches in the grain to sugars.

Malt is usually a concentrate ( Liquid malt extract ) LME or (dried malt extract) DME. This is a concentrated product made from the sugars produced by the enzymes when the starches have been converted.

Malts can be made from a lot of ingredients including but not limited to wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice and on and on.

bosco
Thank you, but when beers list their malts - the ones with wheat in them ususally say "wheat malt" ro "wheat beer" right? For instance, in Leinenkugell's Red Lager, it lists Three Pale, Carapils® and Caramel as the malts. How is one suppose to know if they've got wheat in them?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickaseer View Post
Thank you, but when beers list their malts - the ones with wheat in them ususally say "wheat malt" ro "wheat beer" right? For instance, in Leinenkugell's Red Lager, it lists Three Pale, Carapils® and Caramel as the malts. How is one suppose to know if they've got wheat in them?
Interesting.
I just looked a a few bottles and cans of commercial and craft beers.

None listed the ingredients at all ?
I think they should.

bosco

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

How serious is a wheat allergy? You can be sure that their mill has processed wheat, and I don't think that it gets cleaned out between batches.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Quick Reply