I like this article: The customer is NOT always right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AThe only real reason that there is any need for retail workers is that machines are less flexible and less interactive than humans.

Well, yes, that and the fact tat when you abuse a machine and threaten to call the office of fair trading..or offer to tell "EVERYONE" about their horrible service, a machine can't react.. and kiss their arse. Upset customers LOVE to have someone to ***** to.:D

My favourite customer was a woman that came in and asked to speak to the manager (me) straight away. She didn't want to speak to any of the "underlings" as they can't make decisions like the manager can. After asking dozens of questions, and getting a heap of really good information over the course of about 20 minutes, she asks for a "10% discount for cash" I explained that the price on the personalised quote that I had typed up for her was the best I could do. She replies with "But you are the manager, you can sell this for any price you want"

I asked her to come behind my desk and look at my point of sale screen. I showed here the cost of the equipment she was purchasing which has an 8% margin if I sell at retail price. I asked her if she thought it was a good idea for me to sell her the items at a 2% loss? She smiles and says "that would be GREAT!" I then asked her how I was going to pay my staff, heat, light, insurance, internet, phone and etc bills if I sold my stock at a loss? I also suggested that the store owner might not be too thrilled to find out that I was selling his stock for a loss, and that I would lose my job if he found out.

He reply? "I won't tell anyone!"

She didn't buy anything, and I went back to my real customers after wasting 1/2 hour of my life on an IDIOT.:(

The thing we can't forget here is that this isn't isolated to retail or service situations. The customer who is an arse to someone who is trying to help them buy something, is an arse in everyday life. Now, I know ther are exceptions, i. e. people who have had a really bad day and it comes out the wrong way, but in general it's true. And furthermore, it's not just about bieng an ass, it's about being a bully. There are quite a few people out there who bully their way through life because it gets them what they want, and they have never been put in their place.

So last night - I was at the local Grocery store. Wel every line is backed up with at least 10+ people. So I go to the liquor store part with my 10 items and grab a couple of bottles. The old man behind the counter lets me wait in line for 10 min and when I get to the counter says "Im not checking all that stuff out". I said fine ****it left my stuff there and walked out of the store.

That lazy mother****er really put me in a bad mood. I have never had anyone turn me down in that store for any reason. Old bastard.

Back