Hot Water Tank... Electric? Gas? Tankless? Help Needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wus67

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of you folks will have more experience than myself regarding this matter. I'm building a new home and the hot water tank that is included with the house is a 40 gallon electric with the option to upgrade to gas or tankless. I currently have a 50 gallon gas tank in my house that I installed myself two years ago and I couldn't be happier. It's relativly inexpensive to operate, has an amazing refresh rate and the water comes out scalding hot. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an electric tank, does it heat up quick enough to service a house with 4 people taking showers in the morning, and is it close to the same operating cost of a gas tank. The upgrade option to a gas tank is $990 and $1600 to a tankless. I don't know much about tankless other than it is hot water on demand, and you only heat what you need, making it a much more energy efficient way to go. Is this something that would be worth the upgrade or just stick with it and put the cash else where. If a few of you could give me some input as to which way to go, it would be much appreciated.

I would go with the standard gas fired. But have them pipe in a tee and cap it for if you change your mind your already set up for a tankless.

I've had tankless (oil fired) for many years. Love it- why keep 40 gallons of water hot all the time? I've never run out of hot water with 5 people and often a few extras staying over.

Back