The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #2231
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post

You'd like to see that for what? Some specific set of qualifiers, or just as your general dream lineup? Or just a lineup you're curious about?

Holden has to demonstrate he really is the player he was before sniffs qualifying start. And seeing Borstein on any list makes me cry.
It's a lineup I'd like to see in the upcoming qualifiers.

And come on, no love for the Hebrew Hammer?

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #2232
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
So stoked Holden is back! Man, that was a long recovery for him.

Here's what I'd like to see:

GK - Howard
RB - Cherundolo
CBs - Gonzalez and Besler (seriously they were a perfect pair against Mexico)
LB - Bornstein
RM - Zusi (he's improved every single US match)
LM - Holden or Brad Davis
CMs - Bradley and Jones
CF/SS - Dempsey
ST/TF - Gomez
I won't argue semantics of certain things, but Bornstein? Seriously BOrnstein? I saw enough of that turd under Bradley to last a lifetime. Unless he's learned how to defend in the last 2 years I never want him to even be on the bench. Johnson has been leagues better both in defensive capabilities and with offensive as well.

I hope you're trolling and not suggesting we start a guy with only 10 caps in the last 3 seasons in the freaking Mexican league compared to guys with over 50 caps in the same time in the Bundesliga.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2233
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
It's a lineup I'd like to see in the upcoming qualifiers.

And come on, no love for the Hebrew Hammer?
Well you're not going to see it in the next set of qualifiers. Klinsmann has been clear he's not overlapping qualifier starters and gold cup roster, so Holden is clearly not in his plans as a key contributor for the June qualifiers.

Bornstein is terrible. And he's played 2 games for his club between last season and this. So no, no love for him. I don't think I'll ever get over watching him get destroyed in the gold cup 2011 final.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #2234
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Well you're not going to see it in the next set of qualifiers. Klinsmann has been clear he's not overlapping qualifier starters and gold cup roster, so Holden is clearly not in his plans as a key contributor for the June qualifiers.

Bornstein is terrible. And he's played 2 games for his club between last season and this. So no, no love for him. I don't think I'll ever get over watching him get destroyed in the gold cup 2011 final.
Holden is ready to play now. He's fully recovered from reports I've ready. He's probably a little rusty but I think a Rusty Holden should be a boost to our midfield play, considering Landycakes seems intent on crying about not being treated like a prince.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #2235
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post

Holden is ready to play now. He's fully recovered from reports I've ready. He's probably a little rusty but I think a Rusty Holden should be a boost to our midfield play, considering Landycakes seems intent on crying about not being treated like a prince.
ready to play and ready to play well are not the same. He needs to prove he is the latter.

What, exactly, has Landon said or done that you consider "crying about not being treated like a prince"?

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #2236
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
ready to play and ready to play well are not the same. He needs to prove he is the latter.

What, exactly, has Landon said or done that you consider "crying about not being treated like a prince"?
Just read some of the crap that has been said between Klinsmann and himself. While maybe not as extreme as I made it, he's clearly got some issue with Klinsmann, and I think Klinsmann is 100% right on the attitude about soccer in America, that too many (not all mind you, Dempsey and Howard are perfect examples to the negative) are just content to play professionally. Like getting to MLS or just getting to Europe is a big enough goal. And I think you can see it in many of the players that Klinsmann has picked that they fit his personal goals. Not having the ability to keep moving up and not having the drive are 2 different things. Landon does leave a lot of doubts cause you have to wonder if he could be better since he plays pretty easy competition regularly. I know watching Dempsey he's gotten much better since going to the premier league.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #2237
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Just read some of the crap that has been said between Klinsmann and himself. While maybe not as extreme as I made it, he's clearly got some issue with Klinsmann, and I think Klinsmann is 100% right on the attitude about soccer in America, that too many (not all mind you, Dempsey and Howard are perfect examples to the negative) are just content to play professionally. Like getting to MLS or just getting to Europe is a big enough goal. And I think you can see it in many of the players that Klinsmann has picked that they fit his personal goals. Not having the ability to keep moving up and not having the drive are 2 different things. Landon does leave a lot of doubts cause you have to wonder if he could be better since he plays pretty easy competition regularly. I know watching Dempsey he's gotten much better since going to the premier league.
Ok, what "crap" that says he thinks he deserves special treatment, then? If you're gonna claim it, show it. I've ready plenty, and while I agree there is evidence that he and klinsmann are not always in the exact same page, I've seen nothing indicating a desire for special treatment. I'd love to see what you're basing this on, in all seriousness. I'm happy to change my stance if there's actual evidence.

As for players being content, all players have different goals, personalities, etc, and it's fine to have preferences. Barry Sanders retired near the peak of guys career. Different things drive different people, and demanding that everyone be driven I've the same way is a recipe for artificially limiting your options. That said, there is zero denying that Donovan has done as much on the field for us soccer as almost anyone. If you want to discredit him because you think he should have brought even more, fine. But it's pretty easy to volunteer that someone else should have worked harder, isn't it? Bottom line, if Donovan does get back to close to the form he has displayed in the past, he will absolutely be one of the top five players available in the US pool. And the fact that he maybe could have been better will mean zero as far as his standing relative to the people he is competing against, because even "could have been better" Donovan will be better than the alternatives.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2238
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh I'm not saying that Donovan shouldn't play. I want him to play, really bad. I just have my doubts that he'll swallow his pride and buy into Klinsmann's plan.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #2239
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying that Donovan shouldn't play. I want him to play, really bad. I just have my doubts that he'll swallow his pride and buy into Klinsmann's plan.
What do you think klinsmann is asking for that Donovan is too proud to do?

Imo, if Donovan doesn't play again because of someone's pride, it's not gonna be his that's the issue.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #2240
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't think Donovan wants to invest in the time that Klinsmann wants him to invest. Klinsmann comes from a culture where the players eat, sleep and breathe soccer, and I don't think Landon wants to do that.

Quick Reply