Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Home Builders - Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
bulletproof4age
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home Builders - Question

Is this normal SOP for home builders?

Last year, I wondered why for 4 days I was chiseling out cement from my small front yard in my Townhouse. A truly aggravating experience. Dug down 1 foot to plant some new shrubs and hit cement. Some areas were 1 foot thick.

After watching them work on the row next to me I see why.

Is this worth complaining about?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
bulletproof4age
Recipes 

BTW...this was after the cement truck left. They had finished pouring, but the guy obviously loaded too much into the hopper and just poured it over the fill dirt.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 42

it's worth complaining about, but will get you nowhere.

my solution was to hire someone to landscape and let them deal with the concrete.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I ran into the same problem at my townhouse. I have a little inside knowledge as I worked for a home builder at one time (In IT not in the field). Basically they use whatever they have to bring the yard up level. Its sometimes called hardpan. When I tried to replant my backyard I found an old stump, chunks of concrete, even a piece of siding. I ended up adding about 1000lbs of nice dark dirt and a tiller to break up the hard packed red clay we have down here in GA. After sodding the yard I had the nicest grass in the community, helped me sell the house

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
bulletproof4age
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I ran into the same problem at my townhouse. I have a little inside knowledge as I worked for a home builder at one time (In IT not in the field). Basically they use whatever they have to bring the yard up level. Its sometimes called hardpan. When I tried to replant my backyard I found an old stump, chunks of concrete, even a piece of siding. I ended up adding about 1000lbs of nice dark dirt and a tiller to break up the hard packed red clay we have down here in GA. After sodding the yard I had the nicest grass in the community, helped me sell the house
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did last year. Made a huge difference. Before my front yard was basically a giant potted plant.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

It's standard for concrete trucks to empty small excesses of concrete and wash out their shoots, pump truck, etc. before returning to the plant. But this is what a "WASH OUT" is for. The builder or developer (general contractor is ultimately responsible) should have had a designated location for concrete wash out. Some states/municipalities require it. It would have silt fence around 3 sides and labeled with signage. It's definitely worth complaining about. They screwed up by allowing the concrete guy to do his wash-out anywhere he pleased. They should come back and dig it up and re-landscape the area.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
It's standard for concrete trucks to empty small excesses of concrete and wash out their shoots, pump truck, etc. before returning to the plant. But this is what a "WASH OUT" is for. The builder or developer (general contractor is ultimately responsible) should have had a designated location for concrete wash out. Some states/municipalities require it. It would have silt fence around 3 sides and labeled with signage. It's definitely worth complaining about. They screwed up by allowing the concrete guy to do his wash-out anywhere he pleased. They should come back and dig it up and re-landscape the area.
+1, It is very easy to break up into small pieces the next day, and dispose of. If you let it sit, not so easy.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Apollo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ran into this in my back yard after my house was built. From what I've heard from neighbors and what not it's a very common thing. Thankfully the concrete in my yard was only about 5" thick max and was easy to break up. The garbage can was very heavy to roll to the curb that week.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
abonzer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is normal practice for the pump and/or concrete truck to wash out at the location the concrete was poured, but the contractor who poured the concrete should have removed these "clumps" when they were done working. Furthermore, I can't believe the landscaper didn't remove them before seeding or sodding. Seems like a bunch of contractors who don't give a ****.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abonzer View Post
Seems like a bunch of contractors who don't give a ****.
And this is something new?

Quick Reply