Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > GOOD on ROKU STREAMING

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default GOOD on ROKU STREAMING

Preferably FREE, but discussion of fee based services that are worth it are certainly relevant!

The Nowhere man channel with NB's Brewing TV is pretty awesome.

Crackle, Midnight pulp, Popcorn movies, etc have an endless barrage of free movie choices, from reasonably mainstream to obscure.

Netflix at 7.99/mo is awesome, and amazon at 6.50/mo mediocre are both good enough deals.

The Roku search option makes finding anything easy.

VUDU and Amazon both offer $5 credits for signing up, so I watched almost all of season 3 of TWD for free and finished it up for $6 or so.

All still way cheaper than cable.

History, smithsonian, discovery, travel, etc. are all well represented...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
schooner427
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am planning to cut my cable. Got fios which is nice but we don't watch most of the channels, it seems every month I'm paying more for nuthin but poop. I bout an antenna and will try to install b4 the first of the year. I have a blueray player that already has wireless capabilities, Netflix, my kids watch it more than cable. I am trying the free amazon prime right now. Its OK but even if I get both I'm gonna save a boatload of money. I have seen the roku but I figured I could already get stuff thru the blueray. Might look into it closer tho.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Northern Brewer's Brewing TV episode with John Palmer brewing his "Shire oaked brown ale" was very interesting. Toasted his oats, showed his technique. Nice!

Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash on Midnight Pulp Was fairly bad, lol, but had enough awesomeness to pull it through.

The faculty of the school are all ex GI joe characters, including "Community College Commander" Who still accents his "S"s and wears a blue cowl.

best scene is when the traumatized co-eds accidentally contact a serial killer that blond chick managed to kill several years before though a wiji board. Worth watching at least to that point.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
01steve
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

do a search online for justin.tv and you can add the channel to your roku-... i found it very handy @ times. the clarity isn't great and you'll have to do quite a bit of sifting to find something you like (w/ no garuntee it will be there tomorrow). but when you're lucky you can watch marathons of horror, storage wars, pawn stars, bbc top gear (that one is always on), swamp people, family guy, south park, etc. like i said it's not depnable but there's some great stuff on there in marathon form.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

CD thanks for starting a thread, we just got an ROKU, signed up for Amazon prime and are about to the Time Warner to "go pound salt" .I'll be watching closely and hopefully posting some helpful information. Thanks again.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Have you watched Bikini Bloodbath Christmas yet? How is it?

+1 on Justin Tv, that's actually why I bought a roku to begin with, since almost nightly I was sitting watching Jtv streams on my laptop while my tv was sitting across the room from me gathering dust. You can find just about anything on Justin, including shows like Walking Dead, while it's airing.

I've got a Hell's kitchen marathon running in the background while I screw today.

Nowhere tv has a lot of interesting channels of programming, including the complete run of The Red Green Show (all 15 season.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you watched Bikini Bloodbath Christmas yet? How is it?
Lol, it is literally THE SAME MOVIE. Slight changes to circumstances and characters, but with almost word for word the same script. I think this is done intentionally. It ends up with lines like "I smell onions" clearly from the hot tub scene from the previous movie, but nowhere near a hot tub or an onion in the x-mas one.

Different enough to be worth a view, but far from epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
+1 on Justin Tv, that's actually why I bought a roku to begin with, since almost nightly I was sitting watching Jtv streams on my laptop while my tv was sitting across the room from me gathering dust. You can find just about anything on Justin, including shows like Walking Dead, while it's airing.

I've got a Hell's kitchen marathon running in the background while I screw today.

Nowhere tv has a lot of interesting channels of programming, including the complete run of The Red Green Show (all 15 season.)
+1 to nowhereman. The PBS world streaming is awesome, and I hear he will have live streaming of every NCAA tournament game.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3476 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 370

So, yeah, we're thinking of ditching our 'cable' too. It's fios. Fine service and all. It works. But it's so much junk. We don't watch most of the channels. What channels we do watch, we don't watch most of what's on them. Hell, there's days I don't even turn on the TV. When my wife does, sometimes it's just as background noise. Or to watch DVR. We don't watch a lot of shows as they air. Screw that. Commercials.

So who else does this Netflix, Hulu, Roku stuff? Talk!

Quote:
Revvy: I've got a Hell's kitchen marathon running in the background while I screw today.
You like when he shouts, "You donkey!", don't you?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
So, yeah, we're thinking of ditching our 'cable' too. It's fios. Fine service and all. It works. But it's so much junk. We don't watch most of the channels. What channels we do watch, we don't watch most of what's on them. Hell, there's days I don't even turn on the TV. When my wife does, sometimes it's just as background noise. Or to watch DVR. We don't watch a lot of shows as they air. Screw that. Commercials.

So who else does this Netflix, Hulu, Roku stuff? Talk!

You like when he shouts, "You donkey!", don't you?
.....I was ready to reply but read your last 2 lines, lol.

OH WELL!

I'll tell you what you weren't expecting my friend.

As I peruse the ENDLESS expanse of on-demand stuff on roku and netflix, what is one of the FEW things I have "favorite"d?

PBS world, which streams live their broadcast. It is the least on-demand channel possible. What is on it? I DON'T KNOW!!!! Might be elephants or cooking, or cancer research.

I started a thread about "ON-DEMAND" being the death of creativity...(long ago).

I remember buying "albums" while my friends were buying singles.

My FAVORITE "content" were tracks that were #13 or 14 on the album. Stuff that was never a single.

Stuff my friends were like "what??" never heard that on the radio!

No sh!T retard. And you missed out.

The random KET (PBS) or discovery channel show about something that I would never have selected On DEMAND, turned out to be life changing.

That is going away, as the album did, for better or worse.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Pub-D-hub has some cool stuff. Other than that, any good ones have been mentioned. Amazon is cool if you have prime. It's a little more content avail. Mostly watch Nowhere man, Hulu for current nighttime series, and amazon for movies. Else over-the-air TV ( still free)

Quick Reply