Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flying Dogs..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #21
Sir Sudster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ESkram, just saw this. How ya doin Man? I like Sam Adams Boston ale...on rare occasion I'll pick up a sixer of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

Sudster - as a native, it is my duty as a citizen of the US Beer Capital to tour this brewery (check my forum for today, although I accidently stuck it in drunken ramblings and mumblings). I shall get to it eventually, but the next tours we plan are of Redfish, Boulder Beer Company and New Belgium. When I get to Flying Dog, I shall try to remember to ask for you. Leave me a PM to remind me. This may take some time, as we only tour every other week and usually visit our favorites.

However, the artwork is certainly a nifty point before. Ironically, I always thought the artwork on their beers was lousy. Go figure. I like some of their brews, though.

Then again, my local liquor store has an import with a picture of a bird with a pot on its head eating some guy who has black birds flying out of his butt.

Now that's a picture I still can't figure out how it ever ended up on beer.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Old 11-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #23
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Happy Mug...that would be awesome. I'll try to remember to remind you .

Old 11-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #24
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
Thanks Happy Mug...that would be awesome. I'll try to remember to remind you .
Do you need some one to remind you to remeber to remind him?

Old 11-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you could remind me to remind him I will remeber you.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #26
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Happy Mug, My nephew and I are planning a Pubcrawl trip through your state. We have about a week. Would you recomend an itinerary for us. As part of the crawl I would like to hit the Flying Dog.
Thx in advance.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 AM   #27
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
Happy Mug, My nephew and I are planning a Pubcrawl trip through your state.
Can I come?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 11-28-2005, 03:19 AM   #28
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

First off, I would love to. However, I am really bad when it comes to Iteneraries. I'm also not familiar with the locations of all the breweries. Time management for me just doesn't happen very well. Some internet searches will yield good results for you, but allow me to make recommendations.

Man, there's a ton of good ones here. I recently posted "A day of brewery tours" in the drunken mumblings and ramblins, it goes better into the following three I can recommend. I can't really make a solid itenerary right now, though. There's a lot of maps of stuff in the boulder area. I know they're at Redstone, and I'm certain elsewhere. These are easy-to follow maps with the "cool places" clearly marked.

Flying Dog is in Aspen. This is one of those places I hate going to. I didn't know this when I said I would eventually tour there. Aspen is a short way into the hills. I don't know what else is up in Aspen for breweries, but you might want to try an internet search. It's about an hour drive outside of everything here. I believe the tours start at 2pm and 5pm.

I guess I'll start with the boulder area, since it's where my experience is.

First, a disclaimer. Boulder is 50 square miles surrounded by reality. It was a haven for hippies in the sixties, but now it's this weird hippie-yuppie town. People with money acting like people without. It's still pretty cool though. With the college, there are so many oh-so-fine women running around boulder it'll make your head swim.

Only place I know of "Tree Psychiatrists". Seriously. I've got a story behind that.

Redstone Meadery is excellent if you want to see a meadery. The tour was great, and the guide was hot. The free samples were top-notch. Make sure you get there around noon for the tour. The samples of the private reserve are $3 an ounce, but they are SO worth it (the stuff is $50 a half-liter. We bought one for new years). This year is a beautiful red raspberry mead.
http://www.redstonemeadery.com
We've got several places right off of pearl street mall in boulder. You can park and check out several places within walking distance. Mountain Sun, Redfish, BJ's restaurant and brewery, and several others.

Mountain sun is my next recommendation. There's no real tour, but you can stand by the glass window and watch the brewery all you like. Great stuff. Their sampler is wonderful. You pick six beers from their extensive menu, and they come out in 8oz glasses. The three of us bought two samplers. The beers are great. I haven't tried the food here, but the beer is so like homebrew it's unreal. They don't have a website, but the following is a review and lists their brews. The nitro-charged cream stout is the BEST!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2972

BJ's brewery and pizza is just down the street. Great pizza. Their sampler is a lot of 6oz glasses (we ordered two of them - it was a wall of beer!). I liked the brews in mountain sun better, but these were excellent. They have a hefeweizen and american amber that's unreal. The pizza here is not to be missed.
http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com

Redfish is one I have sadly missed, also within a couple minutes on foot. I hear they've got a crawfish gumbo that'll knock your socks off, and a real neat tour. They are closed on Saturdays.

Avery is pretty close as well, and I love their beers. I've not toured there yet, though. The boulder beer company is here as well. That hazed and infused is a crazy hoppy amber.

In Fort Collins we've got New Belgium (fat tire, baby!), Odell (90 shilling!), Coopersmith's pub and brewing, Coner O'neil's Irish pub and restaurant, Big Horn Brewery (Buttface amber, heh heh). Fort Collins is about a 45 minute drive from boulder, depending on your route (diagnal highway to I-25, best bet)

And, for the little kids, there's Budweiser. They can see the clydesdales. Okay, I've actually heard the tour is really good, if you're interested in the mass-production thing. Bud is why Fort Collins is #2 nation wide in beer production.

I don't know anything about the denver breweries. I just don't like going downtown, so I don't know about them. There's a lot of them real close to coors field.

I've spent an hour on this already. Let me know if you want more information or anything, because I need to go. Also, let me know when you'll be out here.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Old 11-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #29
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a million for the recommendations. I'm not sure when we will be going

but we'll give you a shout when we do. We just decided to do the trip.

This past weekend I was visiting in the Dallas area and we went to the New BJ's that just opened in the Plano area.. It was awesome.
Like you said ..Great pizza. We had the Buffalo chicken deep dish. It was amazing.
We ordered the 4 sampler and it came out in 3oz glasses. Great Hefe and the Brunette Amber was good too. I didn't care for the Kolsh.
We tried a couple Belgians ...Chimay Grand Reserve and one other, but can't remember the name.

They said that they brew in Houston and ship the beer every two days.

We wanted to try the Porter but they were sold out. Must be good.

We then tried Two Rows and that was a disappointment.
We had such a good time that we decided to do the "Brewers Capital tour" .

Thanks for the time you spent on the reply. Great info!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #30
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Can I come?
Sure! And we'll even let you buy the first round.

Quick Reply