Dr. says no alcohol for 6wks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
Well, not my Dr., but my wife's. Her and the kids are food sensitivities, and according to voodoo, err alternative medicine, all of their ailments are caused by inflammation in one way or another. Now, I have had chronic tendonitis for years in multiple joints, so I too am going to be omitting the foods from my diet that they are, and I also have to omit alcohol.

I’m just days away from having my two primaries open up and brew two more batches. I am about to bottle my stout and tripel, and my spiced tripel will be ready to drink soon…and I can’t have a drop. It’s going to be hard to do taste tests if I can’t drink the stuff.

If this gets me back into distance running, mt.biking, and heavy weight lifting without surgery, then it’ll be worth it I guess.

That's a real bummer man. Though I will say, I'm a complete proponent of "if it's good/necessary for your health and longevity, do it." So, if it works towards making you healthy and living a better life, more power to ya.

Oh man, screw that. Doctors don't know nothing anyway. Specially not them hippie "therapists". Alternative medicine. Yeah, as an alternative to actual medicine, come here and I'll smack you with a chicken foot.

My dr looks like Barbie. She's a health nut and always telling me to cut out alcohol. But she also tells me all the things she won't eat, like avocados and pizza. **** that. I'll die fat and happy before I die thin and hungry and miserable.

6w .....
Well, this seems like the perfect moment to brew gallons and gallons of lager :D

When the waiting period will be over, you'll feel like a kid in a candy shop !

I may just head to your neck of the woods and get a second opinion.:D

Just made a 3L starter for my Oktoberfest I will brew tomorrow pm or Wed am.

ONLY reason I have not gone to a different Dr. She started right out of the UMKC Med program when I was a Junior in College. My old Dr had just retired. I only see her maybe once or twice a year if that (sometimes I'll skip a year). If it wasn't for all her nurses and her looking smokin, I would definitely find a different Dr. :D:rockin: As it is, I'll stay.

Benefit is about an Oktoberfest, the 6wk deal will be the perfect time to wait for it to be ready. Maybe even a little longer.:drunk:

So nothings wrong with you, but you are quitting drinking brew for 6wks because your family is allergic to some foods? I understand an elimination diet, but what does tendonitis have to do with brew?
Lifting heavy and poor recovery probably has more to do with the tendonitis. wouldn't you think?
p.s.
landshark, does the barbie dr. do prostate exams?

I badly want to go OT on this thread!

Here is what you do...

Claim that you encountered a possible "torsion" condition with your testicles. Then when they fire up the ultrasound to have a look, and put that slippery goop on it, just keep telling them, "A little higher, please!" ;)

It's an expensive thrill.

I badly want to go OT on this thread!

Here is what you do...

Claim that you encountered a possible "torsion" condition with your testicles. Then when they fire up the ultrasound to have a look, and put that slippery goop on it, just keep telling them, "A little higher, please!" ;)

It's an expensive thrill.

Trip to a masseuse is cheaper.

So nothings wrong with you, but you are quitting drinking brew for 6wks because your family is allergic to some foods? I understand an elimination diet, but what does tendonitis have to do with brew?
Lifting heavy and poor recovery probably has more to do with the tendonitis. wouldn't you think?
p.s.
landshark, does the barbie dr. do prostate exams?

It's food sensitivities that my boys have that my wife doesn't have, so it's possible they got 'em from me. The IgG response to those foods is inflammatory, which could explain why I have tendinitis in my shoulder since 2005 even after physical therapy, ultra sound, bottles of anti inflammatories, staying out of the gym for years, and lots and lots of icing. Now I also have it in my wrist, knee, both ankles, and jaw.

Now what the alcohol has to do with it is he said if I eliminate foods, that's great but the alcohol will negate any of the benefits of doing so.

Damn man, sounds like insult to injury there. Hopefully the 6wk hiatus will sort it all out for you and your fam.
Wish you the best! We'll keep the brew's busy while you're away.
:mug:

Yeah, something stupid is going on with me. Oh, well, the silver lining is I really wanted to shed some fat this summer, and cutting out beer helps a lot.

I just realized I don't have enough bottles to bottle all of my beer. Normally I'm drinking and have a constant rotation of bottles, but I'll have about 20 gal of beer to bottle during this 6wk period (already bottled 7.5), and have enough bottles to do about 15gal. If I had a Belgium bottle corker, I'd be OK though.

Back