Doctor gave me the one-two punch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Had a few hospital stays over the last few years...cardiac, bleeding ulcers, more cardiac, this time resperatory.... though I never followed through on tests and such till the last visit.

this last visit they were pretty adamant about getting checked out by a general practitioner...so I did...Fatty liver disease, diabetes, and COPD was the diagnosis...

According to doc, my liver issues are related more to my genetics than alchohol consumption (2-3 glasses red wine, 2 or 3 beers a night). COPD is genetics to, though asbestous exposure plays a role ( I don't smoke). Diabetes is caused by the liver malfunction the way I understood th doctor. My diet has been pretty healthy, lots of fruits, veggies, seafood or chicken 4-5 times per week. Meatless other nights. Beef or pork once very couple of weeks.

The COPD is the one I did not want to hear... watched my dad die from liver failure (drank maybe a beer on new years, his job caused his LF) but he was doped up on morphine so he just rode the last wave to death. Mom died from COPD...that sucked...no morphine.... just basically slow asphyxiation. Already don't like the shortness of breath feeling (feels claustrophobic to me for some reason), can't imagine what others go through till the end

Odd to be thinking about mortality, and wondering which one is gonna get me first...

Not looking for pitty or sorries, but more how some of you folks deal internally with doctors giving you news like this.

Very sorry to hear this.
I've been lucky enough to not have heard bad news about my health from any doctors.
I suppose that since I'm near 50 I should give them a chance to look me over from time to time now.

Sounds like you have done what you can do to keep yourself healthy. Just bad luck.

Not meaning to sound morbid, but my dad smoked his entire adult life. He had a diagnosis of starting OCPD but did fairly well on his most recent stress test, then dropped over dead of a heart attack.

I don't have any good advice about how to do it, but just enjoy whatever life you have. No sense in worrying about that *might* happen. You never know.

Try to find the beauty in everything around you. See some sights, try some new foods, whatever. Just experience what your mortal body can experience. Maybe volunteer for charity work?

I already invest a lot of time in animal rescue...mostly wolf related. I also have my "pet" projects. Some time ago i posted a pic of a GSD that came in . She is now being trained by me to be a PTSD therapy dog. When she is finished, she will be given to a servicemember in need of assistance.

It's not fear, but curiosity as to what sort of convictions one takes when given news like this?

Had a few hospital stays over the last few years...cardiac, bleeding ulcers, more cardiac, this time resperatory.... though I never followed through on tests and such till the last visit.

this last visit they were pretty adamant about getting checked out by a general practitioner...so I did...Fatty liver disease, diabetes, and COPD was the diagnosis...

According to doc, my liver issues are related more to my genetics than alchohol consumption (2-3 glasses red wine, 2 or 3 beers a night). COPD is genetics to, though asbestous exposure plays a role ( I don't smoke). Diabetes is caused by the liver malfunction the way I understood th doctor. My diet has been pretty healthy, lots of fruits, veggies, seafood or chicken 4-5 times per week. Meatless other nights. Beef or pork once very couple of weeks.

The COPD is the one I did not want to hear... watched my dad die from liver failure (drank maybe a beer on new years, his job caused his LF) but he was doped up on morphine so he just rode the last wave to death. Mom died from COPD...that sucked...no morphine.... just basically slow asphyxiation. Already don't like the shortness of breath feeling (feels claustrophobic to me for some reason), can't imagine what others go through till the end

Odd to be thinking about mortality, and wondering which one is gonna get me first...

Not looking for pitty or sorries, but more how some of you folks deal internally with doctors giving you news like this.

I had cancer about 3 years ago and had to go through about 4 months of chemo (I was 30 when I started treatments). This was the 2nd time I got cancer treatments (I had surgery at 29, but we didn't get all of it). I thought about death after the 2nd diagnosis, but I'm not scared of death. I believe I'll be going to a better place when I'm done with this life, so while I don't wish to die, I was OK if it happened.

Due to this I kept an upbeat attitude. I was cracking jokes constantly and some people didn't know how to take it. It's almost as if they were appalled that I would make jokes about such things, but I continually looked at it as a setback, not a life threatening disease.

I don't know if that helps given your current situation, but I hope things work out for you.

Thank you for sharing your story. Wow. I read your post early this morning and I passed on answering. Too personal. But your pain has stayed with me today and I writing -- like others have -- so you know that I sympathize with you and that I will pray for you today. In the face overwhelming pain and sickness we can feel very finite and brittle. I hope you feel better!

dfc said:
I had cancer about 3 years ago and had to go through about 4 months of chemo (I was 30 when I started treatments). This was the 2nd time I got cancer treatments (I had surgery at 29, but we didn't get all of it). I thought about death after the 2nd diagnosis, but I'm not scared of death. I believe I'll be going to a better place when I'm done with this life, so while I don't wish to die, I was OK if it happened.

Due to this I kept an upbeat attitude. I was cracking jokes constantly and some people didn't know how to take it. It's almost as if they were appalled that I would make jokes about such things, but I continually looked at it as a setback, not a life threatening disease.

I don't know if that helps given your current situation, but I hope things work out for you.

Well said sir.

That's what i am talking about!!!:mug: You sir are an inspiration.

At age 50 I went to the doc for a once over. While doing his digital exam ( the ol drop your pants and bend over) the doc lets out a Hmmm. Not what you want to here. So I did the PSA test twice. A little high. Sent me to a Urologist. Did biopsy. Said things are not good. So they took out my prostate. Having had 2 uncles die from it made me do some soul searching while I was waiting for surgery date to roll around. So as of last month I'm 2 years cancer free. Hoping all they best for you. Prayers and good thoughts to you.
Ps guys if you haven't done so. Get a prostrate exam....

At age 50 I went to the doc for a once over. While doing his digital exam ( the ol drop your pants and bend over) the doc lets out a Hmmm. Not what you want to here. So I did the PSA test twice. A little high. Sent me to a Urologist. Did biopsy. Said things are not good. So they took out my prostate. Having had 2 uncles die from it made me do some soul searching while I was waiting for surgery date to roll around. So as of last month I'm 2 years cancer free. Hoping all they best for you. Prayers and good thoughts to you.
Ps guys if you haven't done so. Get a prostrate exam....

Congrats on 2 years.

I used to have a doctor who would give me the test each year starting at 40. He retired and they had me start seeing an Nurse Practitioner. She apparently wasn't into that kinky stuff.

I'm seeing a new guy now. I have not yet broached the subject, but I personally feel the test is a great thing. It's over in moments and it's one of the better ways to diagnose without a lot of false positives.

Just not sure how to approach the subject with the new younger doc. Maybe, "Go ahead Doc, do your worst!" ??

Wolfstar,
I feel you pain Bro. When they rattled off all the blah blah blah then added kidney failure and COPD I kind of knew my goose was cooked. The docs didn't sugar coat it or make it sound better than it was, they just said here, this is what ya got. Deal with it.... Took me about a year for it to sink in, but I refuse to go quietly so I will be kicking and scratching till the bitter end... It does get easier, once you accept the fact that you are going to die from one of the above eventually. It sucks!!!
Wheelchair Bob

Wolfstar,
I feel you pain Bro. When they rattled off all the blah blah blah then added kidney failure and COPD I kind of knew my goose was cooked. The docs didn't sugar coat it or make it sound better than it was, they just said here, this is what ya got. Deal with it.... Took me about a year for it to sink in, but I refuse to go quietly so I will be kicking and scratching till the bitter end... It does get easier, once you accept the fact that you are going to die from one of the above eventually. It sucks!!!
Wheelchair Bob

COPD is the diagnosis that seems to screw you the most....I like your attitude, reflcts mine...fight, fight, fight!!!:mug:

Wolf,
All I have left is a positive attitude. The rest of the stuff is all still kickin my butt but the COPD is the hardest to control and get the meds all working together. Once I got past the initial shock it took about a year to accept the deal and play the hand I was dealt. I really appreciate what you do for the Wolddogs because they need a special place to roam and be natural too. Do you get adoptees frequently? The reason I ask is I am just about ready to replace the dog I had that died last month from old age. She was 14 and her sister is 15 so it won;t be long for her either. All of our girls are either pound saves or rescues from bad situations. Nothing pure bred, just good ole garden variety heinz 57's. They seem to realize that you saved them and are loyal to the very end. My little dobermutt (100 Lbs) thought that she was a lap dog and would get in my lap when it thundered or when the lightning was active in the area. She also would nudge me every so often to make sure I was OK. She became a regular nurse maid when I got sick and patrolled the property to insure no unwanted guests moved in. Hope youre having a great day and the upcoming weekend turns out to be a productive one too.
Wheelchair Bob

Wolf,
All I have left is a positive attitude. The rest of the stuff is all still kickin my butt but the COPD is the hardest to control and get the meds all working together. Once I got past the initial shock it took about a year to accept the deal and play the hand I was dealt. I really appreciate what you do for the Wolddogs because they need a special place to roam and be natural too. Do you get adoptees frequently? The reason I ask is I am just about ready to replace the dog I had that died last month from old age. She was 14 and her sister is 15 so it won;t be long for her either. All of our girls are either pound saves or rescues from bad situations. Nothing pure bred, just good ole garden variety heinz 57's. They seem to realize that you saved them and are loyal to the very end. My little dobermutt (100 Lbs) thought that she was a lap dog and would get in my lap when it thundered or when the lightning was active in the area. She also would nudge me every so often to make sure I was OK. She became a regular nurse maid when I got sick and patrolled the property to insure no unwanted guests moved in. Hope youre having a great day and the upcoming weekend turns out to be a productive one too.
Wheelchair Bob

Every Wolfdog that comes in gets a screen for possible adoption, or sanctuary status. Sanctuary status is applied to an animal that is not adoptable due to extensive history of biting or aggression, or canids that have a very wild composure. So far, a majority of the Wolfdogs we have saved were re-homed with positive results. A few have stayed as a result overt wild tendancies.

That being said, my best companion through this has been a yearling GSD. She is my companion on my walks, and really gives me a companion boost when I need it most. I just managed to make it through a 2 mile power walk without to much stress (took a bit to work up to this) . The docs said i really need to work on muscle mass to help with dealing with the COPD.

When we adopt an animal out, typically, they are in a solid state to be a companion for anyone. Let me know what you are looking for and we may be able to make it happen.

Back