Doc says NO BEER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony4444

Reaction score
Oh man, I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia yesterday, and the doc says no greasy food, no chocolate, no caffeine, and worst of all NO BEER! He says it can take more than a year to heal up. Way to kill all enjoyment in my life!

Oh well, maybe I'll get some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein going and it will be nice and mature by the time I'm feeling better.

well I dont know if you have an open ulcer that he thinks is gonna heal, but I doubt your hernia will go away. Mine hasn't. He probably figures you will have acid reflux that can be caused by alcohol. I take prilosec otc, eat light meals in the evening. 1 or 2 pints before or with meals doesn't seem to affect me. Also the carbonation might be an issue, you might carbonate less. Other than that, apfelwine vs beer, dont think it matters.

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board said:
Avoid alcohol.
Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid. Alcohol also relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), allowing stomach contents to reflux back up into the esophagus. This is compounded if you have a hiatal hernia. If you still want to consume alcohol, find out how and when to consume alcohol when you suffer from heartburn.

If You'd Still Like the Occasional Alcoholic Beverage...
To minimize alcohol's affect on your digestive system:

* Dilute alcoholic beverages with water or club soda.
* Drink moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages -- the suggested amounts are 1 to 2 mixed drinks, 12 to 16 ounces of wine, or 2 to 3 beers.
* When having wine, drink white wine instead of red.
* Choose non-alcoholic beer or wine.
* Keep track of which alcoholic drinks aggravate your heartburn, and avoid them as much as possible.

Just some interesting reading for you. Talk it over with your doctor and come to a mutual understanding as to what "no" and "in moderation" mean.

Good Luck!

Geez, I might have to get a more "favorable" second opinion. He just handed me this sheet he printed off with dietary guidelines, at the top was no alcohol.

How long have you had it JesseRC? Did you ever consider surgery?

I see some English Milds in your brewing future.

10Der_3.jpg

I've had it for about 7 years. Nope havn't considered surgery. I just use OTC and try not to eat things that aggravate it. You don't want to drink on an empty stomach, but in moderation you'll be fine.

Geez, I might have to get a more "favorable" second opinion. He just handed me this sheet he printed off with dietary guidelines, at the top was no alcohol.

How long have you had it JesseRC? Did you ever consider surgery?

about 8 years ago my doctor put me on a VERY strict diet of dry toast/bread, dry brown rice, a ton of vegetables, very few fruits, plain baked chicken breast and a couple different seafoods and that was about it. No caffeine, no alcohol, no nothing! Well that lasted all of a half a day. I drink beer and mt dew and thats about it and just finished eating a scrapple egg and cheese. Bottom line is that there will be repercussions if you dont listen but I have learned to just live with them.

A few years ago, my glaucoma doctor put me on medication that had a side effect that made all carbonated beverages, including beer, taste like total ****. I didn't mind not having soda, but not having a beer was torture. It was a loooong three months.

I'd go get a second opinion. I have a mild hernia and have a bit of reflux and the course of action will vary depending on how serious it is. I believe that OTC meds and careful accounting of what you eat and when you eat will go a long way to keeping it under control.

Eat less greasy/spicy/acidic foods.
Eat less or nothing for a few hours before bed (very important).
Get a thing to put under you in bed that keeps your fluids from running down your pipe.
Take OTC when needed.

I'd guess that you could be ok if you limit your intake of beer to lower ABV and drank in moderation. That means not filling up on it and not drinking near bedtime. But, you will have to be honest with yourself and know when it's just not a good idea to consume.

A few years ago, my glaucoma doctor put me on medication that had a side effect that made all carbonated beverages, including beer, taste like total ****. I didn't mind not having soda, but not having a beer was torture. It was a loooong three months.

Hmmm. Smoking weed never did that to ME !

My grandfather lived to be 99. Once my great aunt was worried about his daily shot and beer habit and asked the doctor.

"Lady, that's the only thing keeping him alive," replied the doc.

Everything in moderation. I'm thinking you might have to scale back to one beer a night. Nothing above 5.5%.

Maybe he didn't want you filling up you bong with carbonated beverages.:D

Good to know that I'm not alone. Although if I don't have my morning coffee, I can not be held responsible for the consequences! :)

That's when you need the miracle fruit. It'll make **** taste like chocolate. So I am told.

Hmmm. Smoking weed never did that to ME !

Maybe he didn't want you filling up you bong with carbonated beverages.:D

That's when you need the miracle fruit. It'll make **** taste like chocolate. So I am told.

Please don't take this the wrong way, guys, cuz I know you're just tryin' to be funny, but those pot-for-glaucoma jokes are getting old. I hear 'em every time I mention my condition. And the thing is, pot doesn't help glaucoma in the long run- all it does is make you flunk your job-mandated drug tests. Believe me, if I thought for a minute that it would bring back the sight in my blind eye, I would have had a permanent buzz on long ago.

Back