Defending Dog (and myself) again Coyotes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The instructor of my puppy class told us that when coyotes get really hungry the pack sends out a scout who will act playful to dogs. The scout then lures the dog back to the pack, where they kill the dog together. Just FYI, make sure your dog will come when you call, even in distracting situations.

Id find a new instructor.

bh10 said:
Id find a new instructor.

^shrug^ I looked it up and found some others stories to substantiate her claims. Plus, she works in a vet hospital and I can't really think of why she would make up seeing the injuries and talking to the owners. Regardless, coyotes may be afraid of humans, but they are not afraid of dogs.

I have to tell this coyote attack story...

We were doing a deer drive once and I heard a shot from my father's direction after hearing something running hard. After about a minute, I heard him calling me, so I headed towards him.

I see him standing over a dead dog. Here we mostly see coyote/feral mixes, we call them coy dogs. It was torn apart from the middle back. He said it ran directly at him and he just held his .30-06 at his hip and fired. He hit it in the left shoulder and the bullet exited out its ass, blowing apart the whole backside.

We never found out if it was rabid or not, but I just wanted to point out that they will attack, so be careful.

Wow.

My old landlord told me a similar story. He was out with a buddy in the middle of nowhere at their deer camp hunting. His friend was a couple hundred yards away and suddenly out from the brush appears this giant, black pit-bull. It was stalking him and snarling and growling. He started yelling for someone to call the dog off but no answers came. It started to rush him and he had no choice but to shoot. Later that day they came across a couple of guys on a road looking for the dog and he had to break the news to him. I guess he apologized profusely and swore to them that he was about to be attacked, they were upset but understood. I've always heard that even the best trained dogs can snap sometimes when they're out running in the wild and those instincts take over.

I see coyotes all the time here in El Paso, but they have always been alone.

This past summer I went boar hunting to the south east of Texas, and was completely surrounded by coyotes! It was pitch black and I could not see them but they were howling all around me, some as close as maybe 10 yards. I didn’t think much of it, being that the solitary ones always run away, but now I see what danger I was in. Scary stuff, I had my hand gun in my hands the whole time they were howling around me. But there must have been 15 or so out there.

Arm yourself with one of these:
RoadRunner.gif

On a serious note, in the UK most urban areas have foxes and recently there have been reports of them attacking kids and domestic animals and they're usually a very timid animal. They're much smaller than a Coyote as well but as they've been living round humans, I guess they're not so shy anymore. Probably why people will deal with a Coyote as soon as they even spot it.

Back