Buying 1st House.. need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Property taxes in TN vary greatly from county to county. The county aek is buying in is mostly a rural county with little infrastructure. I'm one county to the north of him and my taxes are more than double his (of course my house is almost twice as big too). Davidson county (Nashville proper) taxes are at least 30% higher. I live just across the county line from Nashville. I'm not in a city, so I have to rely on the Sheriff's department and a volunteer fire department. Should a house in my subdivision (360 homes) catch fire, we've been told to simply get out and watch it burn. The VFD would take a good 20 minutes to get here and by then, they just want to make sure no other houses catch fire. Up until two years ago, they didn't even have a fire truck with a big enough ladder to handle 2 story house fires. It took the local community in this part of the county to raise the funds and donate the truck to VFD. So it has it's trade offs. All that said, I love where I live.

Ryan_PA said:
Real estate is funky, more so now than ever. When you guys compare the costs of living in north jersey with middle of the country, there are no real merits. Property value and taxes are completly artificial and rarely relate to the quality of the home or home sizes in other markets. I know this is fairly common sense, but I just saw several posts of people comparing costs. There are more factors in plat, than any forum could list, the least of which is not average per capita income of the area.
True. But, it's hard to convince your wife to move when her family lives here. It's not her fault that real estate increased by 60% in 5 years. My salary hasn't increased by that much, coroporate profits in the area have not increased that much. It's a little bit messed up.

I'm better off than a lot of people my age, but I really feel for the others. Most likely their quality of life will be less than what they grew up with unless they leave NJ. Then again.... Maybe leaving NJ isn't such a bad idea. Heh.

njnear76 said:
...Most likely their quality of life will be less than what they grew up with unless they leave NJ. Then again.... Maybe leaving NJ isn't such a bad idea. Heh.
Just pass the word along that they don't need to come to NC anymore:ban:

Even though banks are skeptical right now, if you have decent credit and good D/I ratio then you have a lot going for you. Didn't read the thread so I don't know what phase you are in, but now is a great time to buy especially for first timers. People will negotiate like crazy now and if you have to pay PMI, so you pay PMI. The tax break you get will be well worth it regardless! The realtors, the sellers and the market all want things to get moving again so keep that in mind, that even though they are a little more stringent in some areas they want things to move forward. Please negotiate. :D

Big News!

We just got a call from the Realtor saying that we got the house for 175k!!!! plus the fridge!!!

wooooowooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aekdbbop said:
Big News!

We just got a call from the Realtor saying that we got the house for 175k!!!! plus the fridge!!!

That's great news! Congratulations! :mug:

ma2brew said:
Just pass the word along that they don't need to come to NC anymore:ban:
Hey.. hey... hey. Don't you want us stinking up your prices like the New Yorkers did to us? Heh. .:)

Soulive said:
I may be disappointing you in the future...
What, are there ads running in the NJ/NY area showing NC as the promised land or somehting? I just don't get why there's so many NY'ers and NJ emigrants that got waylaid here on their way to FL...

njnear76 said:
Heh. Don't forget to bring a corrupt politician or two. Heh.
While the South already has more than its fair share of "Slick Willies" in office, the last thing we need down here is a bunch of folks gettin' the bright idea of organizing labor as well.:mad:

aedkbbop said:
Big News!

Congratulations! You won't regret it a bit.

ma2brew said:
What, are there ads running in the NJ/NY area showing NC as the promised land or somehting? I just don't get why there's so many NY'ers and NJ emigrants that got waylaid here on their way to FL...
I think NC is a bit popular now because it is attracting more businesses and high tech companies. Couple that with a cheaper cost of living, good restaraunts, cheaper taxes, and thriving art scene... I can see the attraction for those currently living in NY/NJ area.

I understand your concern of course. You were there first and don't want to see the place completely transformed. NJ went through that about 10-20 years a go. I'm sure those here before the boon are not that happy.

You can find some cheap realestate in MI... only problem is you probably wont find a job. Flew with an FO last week who lives up in Detroit and he said that there are 6 homes for sale on his street alone. The Dems really did a job on that state!

The Pol said:
You can find some cheap realestate in MI... only problem is you probably wont find a job. Flew with an FO last week who lives up in Detroit and he said that there are 6 homes for sale on his street alone. The Dems really did a job on that state!
Eh... I would have to disagree. Metro Detroit's economy is driven by the auto industry. The economy needs to diversify.

Didnt they almost shut down the state govt recently because they were out of money too? Doesnt the state as a whole have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country? Is that all because of the auto industry in Detroit? How are the tax incentives for new businesses in MI?

I lived there for 26 years... moved away, will never go back. Granholm is backing Hillary, nuf said!

The Pol said:
Didnt they almost shut down the state govt recently because they were out of money too? Doesnt the state as a whole have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country? Is that all because of the auto industry in Detroit? How are the tax incentives for new businesses in MI?

I lived there for 26 years... moved away, will never go back. Granholm is backing Hillary, nuf said!
Shrug. I lived in Metro Detroit for most of my life and every major business is there because of the car industry. Most of the tax revenue generated in the state is from the auto industry. That well is pretty much tapped out. No one buys American cars anymore.

I agree with you that the Michigan economy should have been more diversified, but that could have been done years ago by both Democrats and Republicans.

Back