Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Budweiser made good...once.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Germey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default RE: This is TRUE!

Somewhere in Colorado, there is a very good guy named Randy Cassingham who is probably spitting mad (or was when this went out) that the message went out with "This is TRUE!" at the header.
That is his trademark for an excellent publication. I've been a subscriber for over a decade now, and I am confident that most of the folks around here would love his stuff.
Randy is a fierce campaigner against internet rumors and spam in general.
Check him out.

A side project of his is the True Stella Awards and is equally awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
it also incites hatred toward Arab-Americans.
I guess it's just because of my upbringing on farms and ranches where we had a lot of different people around all the time...but I just don't see it.
I think it may be intended to enrage Americans against Terrorists and people trying to harm our country....But I really say the "Arab" store owners as a reality check....how many convenience stores are owned and or operated by people with a Middle Eastern Background?

I guess it's a lot like the womens rights thing to me. Where I'm from, you don't get to use being a Woman (or black, or Mexican, or Indian) as an excuse. If something needs done, Get over yourself and and do it. You can go back to self loathing and pity when the work has been done. Because of that, i just am not as sensitive to the things that upset the rest of you. Where I'm from, being an Arab doesn't make you special, nor does it make a story racist or hateful!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Bourdon
Recipes 

First of all this story just screams untrue from the get-go. Those arab-americans would have come to this country to start a new life while running their business. I have never met people who truly love our country more than immigrant entrepreneurs. They usually have left everything behind in their old country to start a new life in this one. Why would they just piss on the country that is giving them a second (or third) chance? Why would they cheer for the destruction of a country that is treating them well?

Was it necessary to name the store owners as Arab? If yes, than a racist statement is being made, obviously trying to generate feelings toward a stereotype.

As a matter of fact most of the "Arab" immigrants that you are thinking of are actually Sikhs and Hindi, not Muslim. Why don't you try asking one of them sometime before assuming their religion just because of their appearance?

*Opens lawn chair and cracks a beer.*

Primary: 2x Hard Blueberry Honey Apple Cider
Secondary: Blueberry Wheat Lite Beer
Kegged: Bavarian heavy-veisse

Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I guess it's just because of my upbringing on farms and ranches where we had a lot of different people around all the time...but I just don't see it.
I think it may be intended to enrage Americans against Terrorists and people trying to harm our country....But I really say the "Arab" store owners as a reality check....how many convenience stores are owned and or operated by people with a Middle Eastern Background?

I guess it's a lot like the womens rights thing to me. Where I'm from, you don't get to use being a Woman (or black, or Mexican, or Indian) as an excuse. If something needs done, Get over yourself and and do it. You can go back to self loathing and pity when the work has been done. Because of that, i just am not as sensitive to the things that upset the rest of you. Where I'm from, being an Arab doesn't make you special, nor does it make a story racist or hateful!
Kahuna, the point I was making was, the story relies on implicit prejudice against "Arabs"--read, brown people, as being from the Middle East doesn't make you an Arab...for example, Christians from Lebanon or Iraq don't consider themselves Arabs--to start it down the track of it being believable. As an earlier poster said, if the story had started...this Irish bartender (another stereotype, yes, though I've worked with potatoloads of them), was celebrating the attacks and...

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
7th Post and we have a race card!

I knew I shouldn't have posted this at all!
fixed

Quick Reply