Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any trout fisherman on here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Any trout fisherman on here?

Looking for some assitance in picking out a new combo for the upcoming fishing/camping season.

Not looking for anything expensive, just something to replace my super old combo that is due for retirement.

I'm also not a hardcore fisher although I do enjoy it when I get the chance.

Can anyone point me to some good products off of this site? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...owse.aspx?c=14

I'm thinking of a Ugly Stick spinning rod and am unsure of the reel, also unsure of the length of rod and stuff like that. Been a looooong time since i've shopped for this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Are you going to be fishing streams, rivers, or lakes? That will help you decide what size combo to get. For streams, especially if there is a lot of cover, I like an ultralight rod and reel. As the size of the body of water increases and the size of the fish your going for increases the size of your tackle increases.

This is a nice general purpose combo at a reasonable price if you want an ugly stick. Personally I like Mitchell spinning reels, but they are a bit more expensive

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5323 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

I'm no expert, especially with trout equipment. But I like versatile spinning rods, and love my Ugly Stick. I assume you're not into fly fishing, and just looking for a spincast or a spinning reel? I use a Shimano reel similar to this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300325

I use an Ugly Stik light freshwater rod- a spinning rod. I prefer spinning rods and reels, and a medium length. I guess if you tell us more about what you're looking for (just for trout, or for multipurpose, the size fish you plan to take, where you're fishing, etc) people could give you more specific ideas.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have no problem piecing together a combo.. I did notice that the site sells Mitchell spinning reels at reasonable prices. I'm willing to drop around 50-60 for something that will last me a long time. So if anyone/you have any suggestions for a pieced together combo, i'd be interested in hearing them.

For the most part, i'll be fishing lakes.

Thanks budz

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
I'm no expert, especially with trout equipment. But I like versatile spinning rods, and love my Ugly Stick. I assume you're not into fly fishing, and just looking for a spincast or a spinning reel? I use a Shimano reel similar to this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300325

I use an Ugly Stik light freshwater rod- a spinning rod. I prefer spinning rods and reels, and a medium length. I guess if you tell us more about what you're looking for (just for trout, or for multipurpose, the size fish you plan to take, where you're fishing, etc) people could give you more specific ideas.
Most areas around me don't seem to have to big of trout, atleast from what i've been able to pull. It will mostly be lakes, and yea, i'm not into fly fishing. I'd prefer a spinning reel over a spincast.

As for the fish, it will mostly be used for trout, but i'd like to have the option of catching other fish (bass, etc), but i prefer a light test line just for the fun factor.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used to Trout fish all the time in Utah. I fished the Provo River, Scofield Lake, Fish Lake, and Strawberry Reservoir. Good fishing, all of them.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
c.n.budz

Recipes 

If you're fishing lakes, I'd go with a pole that's in the 7' range. For a reel, the one Yooper posted, this model specifically: SO2500RH Rear Drag, would work well for you and Shimano makes a quality reel. That model has a good capacity for 10lb test line.

EDIT: Just saw that you like light test line, go with the lighter model reel.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I used to Trout fish all the time in Utah. I fished the Provo River, Scofield Lake, Fish Lake, and Strawberry Reservoir. Good fishing, all of them.

Going up to Pine Valley in a couple weeks.

Was great fishing last time.. I had a ghetto setup consisting of an antique telescoping pole and a Patron cork as a bobber. Trout were hitting like crazy.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz
If you're fishing lakes, I'd go with a pole that's in the 7' range. For a reel, the one Yooper posted, this model specifically: SO2500RH Rear Drag, would work well for you and Shimano makes a quality reel. That model has a good capacity for 10lb test line.

EDIT: Just saw that you like light test line, go with the lighter model reel.
Yea, it's been a long time, but i just remember fishing with my dad and using light line and it just seemed to have bit more fun factor since we couldnt just yank em out of the water.

Would would a good lb test line be for bass? I want to try and find something that will be somewhat versatile.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v
Would would a good lb test line be for bass? I want to try and find something that will be somewhat versatile.
I rarely use anything heavier than 4lb test, with a light drag setting for the bass around here.

Quick Reply