Alternate Ending.......(movies)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
W T F?????????

Recently watched I am Legend again. Great movie.

Sad! Dark. Loved it. His beloved dog is awesome, he is forced to kill it when it gets infected, so sad, the other 2 people arrive he dies..........wait............what the?

Thought I was losing my mind. Grenade...........he dies.........

Why is he driving with them? OH alternate ending!!! Of courese!! How fun!

How long until we have alternative middles, alternative beginnings?

I hate hollywood so so so SO MUCH.

Then we can have alternate titles, alternate directors, maybe even alternate studios!

Yes, the alternate stuff is getting a little overkill. I'm sometimes not sure what movie I just watched. Did you see the Harry Potter where Harry lives? It was very confusing. :D Kyle

W T F?????????

Recently watched I am Legend again. Great movie.

Sad! Dark. Loved it. His beloved dog is awesome, he is forced to kill it when it gets infected, so sad, the other 2 people arrive he dies..........wait............what the?

Thought I was losing my mind. Grenade...........he dies.........

Why is he driving with them? OH alternate ending!!! Of courese!! How fun!

How long until we have alternative middles, alternative beginnings?

I hate hollywood so so so SO MUCH.

They actually did the Matheson ending in one of the alternates.

The entire point of the book was lost on the zombie crowd, and the movie, but a basic summation is, get with the picture. If you're the one who refuses to change when all around you are doing just that, then you are the bad guy.

"Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And, abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain. ... Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.".

They actually did the Matheson ending in one of the alternates.

The entire point of the book was lost on the zombie crowd, and the movie, but a basic summation is, get with the picture. If you're the one who refuses to change when all around you are doing just that, then you are the bad guy.

"Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And, abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain. ... Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.".

Interesting. You suggest it as a read? Was it Omega man?

Anyways, I feel like movies (ideally) are works of art. You can't say "Here is my creation!" and the "Oh wait, I made it in Blue too if that suits you better!"

I understand what you're saying, but movies aren't made by a single individual and each person who has a creative voice in the film brings a different vision with them. Alternate endings, I feel, are a way to express the different visions that were brought to the table. Though I do get mighty perturbed by movies not following the book, in the context of what the movie is by itself (as opposed to in relation to the book) I have no problem with alternate endings.

Interesting. You suggest it as a read? Was it Omega man?

Anyways, I feel like movies (ideally) are works of art. You can't say "Here is my creation!" and the "Oh wait, I made it in Blue too if that suits you better!"

Very much so.

I understand what you're saying, but movies aren't made by a single individual and each person who has a creative voice in the film brings a different vision with them. Alternate endings, I feel, are a way to express the different visions that were brought to the table. Though I do get mighty perturbed by movies not following the book, in the context of what the movie is by itself (as opposed to in relation to the book) I have no problem with alternate endings.

But I see that as an issue. Without Matheson to approve of an ending, or to at least shrug it off, the initial art which had a purpose gets turned into another mindless romp fighting zombies and the entire thing had a point.

I don't know, I'm still struggling with the idea that once you make it public it ceases to be yours and starts belonging to everyone. You may be the progenitor, but the true test of living art is whether it takes a meaning of it's own to every new generation and person who decides to find meaning in that.

How can story become beloved by any generation, if no one is sure which version you are discussing????????

"Oh yes I agree! Oh, what? you mean the version of Gone With The Wind where the south wins the war??? No I have to disagree then" BUGGAR THAT!!!

Sorry! I is right and you is wrong.;)

Not serious, but do you see my point? What if 1 version of a movie is destined to become the all time best movie ever....but there is 1 or more alternate endings........won't that dilute the "belovedness" (for lack of better) and cause confusion in serious discussions?

I see it as a ploy to make money, and a symptom of our MCdonalds/MTV immediate gratification society.

It might not quite be an abomination, but then again, it might.

Didn't you see the alternate ending to the matrix where Neo comes riding in on a unicorn in the final scene and we discover trinity is also not dead and they live happily ever after in the land of oz with the French guy and Alf?
Wait.....what were we talking about?

Didn't you see the alternate ending to the matrix where Neo comes riding in on a unicorn in the final scene and we discover trinity is also not dead and they live happily ever after in the land of oz with the French guy and Alf?
Wait.....what were we talking about?

Soon there will be an app to tell you which ending to watch based on the recommendation from your psychotherapist.

How can story become beloved by any generation, if no one is sure which version you are discussing????????

"Oh yes I agree! Oh, what? you mean the version of Gone With The Wind where the south wins the war??? No I have to disagree then" BUGGAR THAT!!!

Sorry! I is right and you is wrong.;)

Not serious, but do you see my point? What if 1 version of a movie is destined to become the all time best movie ever....but there is 1 or more alternate endings........won't that dilute the "belovedness" (for lack of better) and cause confusion in serious discussions?

I see it as a ploy to make money, and a symptom of our MCdonalds/MTV immediate gratification society.

It might not quite be an abomination, but then again, it might.

No, serious discussion will make clear what version the people are talking about.

In retrospect maybe having a mindless zombie romp was the "point" of this version. Nothing has substance anymore, I wonder if it ever did.

Womp womp womp.

I have to disagree. If ET had had 2 endings, would it be as beloved as it is, or more of a novelty?

Yes people can discern between this or that ending, but I think a subconcious perception of cowardice (they didn't have the guts to lay it all on the line, they went with BOTH endings) will leave movies as an interesting comparison, but seldom as a masterpiece.

Personally I am not a fan of them. I doubt I have ever watched a movie and decided to watch it again with the alt ending just to see how much better it would be.

If I wanted a different ending all I have to do is imagine a different ending! I don't' need some the production company to waffle on what they think the film needs to fulfill their artistic vision. Just make the movie you want to make. We'll decide if we like it or not.

Latest posts

Back