Aldi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Anyone here shop at Aldi? My wife and I decided to stop there yesterday because they have some really nice prices on stuff.

Among other things, we picked up some salsa and some roast beef, mustard and horseradish for sandwiches. We shared the salsa last night and both felt sick to our stomachs for a few hours afterwards. Today I ate a sandwich with the other stuff and I'm feeling cramped and nauseated again.

Just wondering, did I run into a fluke couple of batches or should I steer clear of Aldi from now on?

Wish we had Aldi's here in Colorado. Stop in just to look at inventory when back in KC to see family.

I think you had the misfotune to get some bad examples, not a bad store.

Hope your feeling well now though! Go brew, always makes me feel better.

Ex was a cashier early on and she taught me to always wash hands before putting away groceries, upon entering the house.

I think a lot of illness complaints stem from the actual place and all the germs people bring with them, than just the products themselves, restaurants included.

Thats where I buy my frozen grape juice concintrate for making wine. Its cheaper than the regular grocery stores. We like aldi's in general. Try a can of their "happy harvest" butter beans over butter bread with lots of pepper, mmmm.....

Hmm yeah, I do tend to be a little more lax on sanitation in day-to-day activities than I am when brewing. Upset stomach two days in a row... could be something on the containers. Maybe I'll attack it all with a clorox wipe, and make sure to wash hands before I handle anything else.

No problems from Aldi's here either. Occasionaly you can find Godiva Chocolate Brownie mixes for uber cheap instead of high prices at Kroger or Wally World

i have bought from that same one Derek, but havent had any problems.. i hate the lay out of that store though.. ha

Heh. Only Germans would think to invent a device that forces you to put a "deposit" on your shopping cart.

I've not had any issues with Aldi food. I don't like their produce much (on the other hand I generally don't like produce...) anyway their meat is actually really good, also they have some OK cheap pop top beer. I also get apple juice concentrate for brewing purposes.

I absolutely hate that place. You have to have a quarter to get a cart, there is very little selection, there are no baggers (and the prices aren't that much cheaper than places that do have baggers, IMHO, they don't even have BAGS, the stores are filthy, and the part that bugs me the most, the one and only checkout clerk is sitting on their ass on a stool behind the checkout counter moving so slowly they make the DMV look like they are on speed. Customer service is NOT their strong suit. But I was a meatcutter at a Pick-n-Save store for many years, so maybe I'm a little pickier.........

Dunno, everywhere I've ever seen an Aldi's it was in one of two places:

1) Trailer park heaven
2) Urban ghetto

When my ex-wife's family shopped there religiously - they were #1.
There's 2 I know of down here in MD, and they are all within close distance of #2.

My advice: STAY AWAY.

Dunno, everywhere I've ever seen an Aldi's it was in one of two places:

1) Trailer park heaven
2) Urban ghetto

When my ex-wife's family shopped there religiously - they were #1.
There's 2 I know of down here in MD, and they are all within close distance of #2.

My advice: STAY AWAY.

I noticed that also.

The one in my town is right next to HOOTERS. So if you go to hooters after shopping, you ain't saving!

I tend to watch the ads of the 3 big stores here, Pathmark/Shoprite/Acme.
When I see something that I use regularly, like folgers coffee, for 1.50, I buy a bunch.

Heh. Only Germans would think to invent a device that forces you to put a "deposit" on your shopping cart.

They do that all over Europe. I wish they would do it more places here too. I get sick and tired of having to move people's carts out of a parking space or getting rogue carts run into my car. Lazy shoppers is a pet peeve of mine:cross:.

Back