Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Middle Tennessee Group Grain Buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffewl View Post
I'm down with getting some of the basics (pale 2 row) and some specialty grains such as the crystals and chocolates and such. How large are the bags? I.e. when you say split a bag, how much are you talking about and for what price?
All the bags I saw were 55lbs. The Great Western crystal is .63 cents a pound.

I can use some crystal malts if necessary, but not a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'm down with getting some of the basics (pale 2 row) and some specialty grains such as the crystals and chocolates and such. How large are the bags? I.e. when you say split a bag, how much are you talking about and for what price?
I think I PM'd you the price list. If you need me to send it again just let me know.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Countryham
Recipes 

I'm in for 1 bag of Bairds Maris Otter BD-MOPA, and 1 bag Canada Malting Company 2 row CM-2ROW. A friend of mine is in for a bag of CM-2ROW as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalisi View Post
I'm in as well but since I have yet to brew anything other than extract I will look to your experiences on what I should get for base malts to start out with. As well as any specialty grains I'd be willing to share the cost on them as well.
Most people keep a supply of base malt on hand. What you get and use depends on your preference of what beer you like to make. 2-row will work fine as a base malt for most beers. (not including wheat beers but 2-row is used as a part of those alot as well) I mean you cant really make a Pilsner w/o Pils malt. I personally like Maris Otter as a base for most of my beers. If a recipe calls for 2-row I almost always substitute MO, but that is my preference.

As for Crystal and other ad malts, it is again what you use alot of. I personally use a lot of C-40 and 60, and I substitute alot of Pale Chocolate in some of my darker recipes.

If you are just starting out and you are still using extracts as your base, go in and chop up a couple bags of specialty malts that you'd like to try. This will give you the chance to cheaply get some malts to experiment with. If you are not set up for all grain brewing you should avoid base malts as they will not be necessary for your purposes.

I'd say go in a split a bag of C-40 or C-60 and a bag Pale Chocolate. Then make some killer pale ale and awesome brown ales with it.

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I would be up for splitting some Pale Chocolate, but I think I would prefer we find some other folks to come in on the split. I would like say 1/5 of a bag.

I would also be up for splitting some Crystal 60, but again I think I could only use 1/4 of a bag.
I am up for splitting up the specialties. I'd like to get about 10-15# of Crystal 40 or 60 and the same of pale chocolate...So a 1/4 bag or a 1/5 of a bag doesnt matter to me...it is the difference between 14# and 11, so no biggie, I am flexible.

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Malone View Post
I am up for splitting up the specialties. I'd like to get about 10-15# of Crystal 40 or 60 and the same of pale chocolate...So a 1/4 bag or a 1/5 of a bag doesnt matter to me...it is the difference between 14# and 11, so no biggie, I am flexible.
C'mon man, we aint getting to 42 bags this way.

_

Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
C'mon man, we aint getting to 42 bags this way.

_

That is true, but I can only use so much Pale Chocolate and Crystal Malts.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If I am not mistaken we are at 12 bags committed, without any of the specialty grain splits. I know another guy on here is going to buy at least 5 bags and maybe more.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for getting this together 1234! You can sign me up for...

Grain:
1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L
1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Pale 2 Row

Also, I noticed LME and hops being listed on the product sheet. I would go in half with anyone on the items below if possible.

30 lb. (BR-PL-L60) Briess Light Liquid Extract 60 pound pail $73
1/4 lb. East Kent Golding
1/4 lb. Fuggles
1/4 lb. Hallertau
1/4 lb. Cascade

Still new to this, so if some of that can't be ordered, it's cool. I'll keep thinking and looking at recipes in the mean time to see if I can add anything else. I'm currently an extract brewer too so can't really purchase too much grain other than the specialty stuff, but the LME and hops look very attractive if possible to buy.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for getting this together 1234! You can sign me up for...

Grain:
1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L
1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Pale 2 Row

Also, I noticed LME and hops being listed on the product sheet. I would go in half with anyone on the items below if possible.

30 lb. (BR-PL-L60) Briess Light Liquid Extract 60 pound pail $73
1/4 lb. East Kent Golding
1/4 lb. Fuggles
1/4 lb. Hallertau
1/4 lb. Cascade

Still new to this, so if some of that can't be ordered, it's cool. I'll keep thinking and looking at recipes in the mean time to see if I can add anything else. I'm currently an extract brewer too so can't really purchase too much grain other than the specialty stuff, but the LME and hops look very attractive if possible to buy.

I think we may have a hard time doing any of the hops. If I have read the stuff correctly it looks like we can order 11 pounds or 44 pounds of each type. The 60 pound pail might be able to be done, but it may be difficult to get on a pallet. Let's see how this goes and we will see what can be done. You could probably get some 2 Row from one of the other guys who are going to order more than 1 bag of it.

So far it looks like we will be adding a bag of crystal 60L & a bag of Pale Chocolate.

Quick Reply