Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Pellet Grills To Replace Gas Grills?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
I'll be sure to tell my client that the grill they just made was really made in China...lol
"Made"...or "assembled"? Putting parts together or painting the finished product isn't "making".
Before I purchased my grill, I did extensive research on pellet pits. I called several companies and asked questions...including Traeger. The replies I got from both Traeger and Green Mountain, "All of our grills and parts are manufactured in China."

Now, for the record...I am not saying anything negative about Trager. I bought one of their smallest pits for my dad about a year ago. It is performing nicely.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1174 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Why would a metal fabricating company simply assemble a bbq. Anyway... moving on. They are a nice grill. I've had one for about six years now. It was made in that factory. I saw them making them!!! I swear!!! I just want you to think I know everything about Traeger!!! lol

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Why would a metal fabricating company simply assemble a bbq. Anyway... moving on. They are a nice grill. I've had one for about six years now. It was made in that factory. I saw them making them!!! I swear!!! I just want you to think I know everything about Traeger!!! lol
Because now they are a grill company.

Not sure if it is 100%, but they have outsourced the fabrication of their grills to china. 6 years ago they were all US made, but if you buy one of their stock models now, it was made in China

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1174 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 625

They are nice grills, we got ours at cost because we had the inside deal. But if I were to spend over $500 on a new smoker I think I'd go with the Mak.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
They are nice grills, we got ours at cost because we had the inside deal. But if I were to spend over $500 on a new smoker I think I'd go with the Mak.
You mean if you were to spend over 2000 that is the problem I am having now, I know I'm going to be in the 1500+ range to get the type of controller, size, inuslation that I want. Then I think it isnt that much more for a mak or memphis. Then I realize I'm talking about 2000 for a grill

Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
gwapogorilla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
You mean if you were to spend over 2000 that is the problem I am having now, I know I'm going to be in the 1500+ range to get the type of controller, size, inuslation that I want. Then I think it isnt that much more for a mak or memphis. Then I realize I'm talking about 2000 for a grill
Yep, The total package for my Yoder 640 was $1800...but that's with shipping too. That price also includes custom made stainless steel grill grates though.

As I stated before, bout a year ago a bought the small Traeger grill and an Ortech digital control on Ebay for a total price of $400...including shipping. It was a gift for my dad. I have to tell you, that little grill is really impressing me! The food coming off of it tastes just as good as the food coming off my Yoder. Of course, he is using the same pellets that I do.
I think a lot has to do with the pellets you use. I use Lumberjack 100% flavor wood...100% hickory, 100% cherry, 100% apple and 100% maple.
So basically, I am using the same wood for smoking that I do for cooking.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #37
gwapogorilla

Recipes 

Quote:
They really are decent little units. I jumped right in on a Yoder 640...one hell of an investment for a grill. $400 for a Traeger from Ebay isn't a bad price with the Ortech controller. They won't last as long, but it someone want's to get their feet wet, that's a good way to go.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 126

When you say won't last as long, can you add anything that is quantifiable to that statement?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
Nope, they are made in China. The customize job you see is done in several places here in the states. But the grills and their working components are made in China.
I'll be sure to tell my client that the grill they just made was really made in China...lol
to be fair, you could both be right.

The smoke generator/electronics could have been made overseas.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #40
gwapogorilla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
When you say won't last as long, can you add anything that is quantifiable to that statement?
Sure. My Yoder for example is constructed of 10 gauge steel...which is just a tad thicker than 1/8". So, naturally it won't rust out as quickly. Same with Fast Eddie's and Maks...all thicker.
If you want a better understanding of pellet pit performance, troubles, testing and opinions....I suggest visiting one or both of these sites.

Smoked-meat.com http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/index.php
Quite a few Yoder owners in here. A few Mak owners too. Great site! The owner and mediators are really cool people. You can speak your mind, ask questions and get HONEST answers.

Pelletheads.com http://pelletheads.com/ "Mostly" green mountain grill owners in this forum, as the owner and the head moderator deal in green mountain. Personally, I don't hang out there as I find the moderator to be a real douche bag. But, there are also Mak owners and Fast Eddie owners there too. Just be really careful of what you ask or post, as the moderator DOES NOT like anybody talking or suggesting poorly about green mountain. If you do, he and all of the other posters that want to suck his teet will dog pile on you!

Quick Reply