Hillbilly Barbeque, pulled pork, smoked butt roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
My wife made the rub, stab it all over with a fork and rub it into the holes. this gets it down into the meat. I don't think we came up with this, but got it off the web somewhere.

Kansas city rub, Makes a packed quart jar, half recipe if you don't cook a lot.
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup dried mustard
1 tb garlic
1 tb paprika
1 tb salt
1 tb onion powder
1 tb cayenne
2 tb black pepper

This one is a 7lb pork butt roast, put onto the grille, fire at one end, hickory over charcoal to smoke real well. I had to ignite it today with the charcoal starter and "hair drier blower" to get it hot and sterilize the grille. It ran up to 300degrees but you want a slow cook at 200-225.. do not put the meat over the fire.. build it on one end and the meat on the other end, the heat in the enclosed grille and smoke cooke the meat.
After it "darkens" enough to suit you and does not dry out, lay some tin foil out on a pan, set the meat over onto it, wrap it up and continue to cook till "well done pork" by a thermometer. Normally 3-4-6 hours depending on roast size.
Allow to rest a while (you know I am impatient) and hand tear it to bits. I normally burn my fingers everytime. we normally freeze the major amount of this, get it out for baked potatoes and quick sandwiches.. we did home made bread last time and I think I near lost my mind and had to take a "bloated nap afterwards" The normal way to eat it here is a to make a "horse radish cole slaw and put a dab on a bun, the meat sauced up" and there you have a sandwich.

SWEET baby Rays barbeque sauce.. if you have a home made sauce with brown sugar and vinegar and apple juice, I'd love to get that one.. or anything else new..

I also am making Shish-ka-bobs today for a big bosumed buddy of the wifes, supposed to be here about 1ish.

Chicken,
Sweet vidalia onion,
apple , sliced
Squash, zucchini, yellow squash
bell pepper
Mushrooms
Hickory smoked bacon strips laid on top to put the fat into it.

We have the grilling cages of stainless.. used to soak and shish-ka bob sticks in water.. I've had a couple of failures with the sticks thou. The cages are burned black in places, but clean.. I've used them now a lot.

Her cole slaw recipe..
8 cups shredded cabbage
1 carrot sliced with peeler
combine in bowl,
in seperate bowl,
1/3 cp sugar
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/8tsp black pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonaise
1-2 tb horseradish sauce (be careful there are different strengths and this is spicy)
1 1/2 tb white vinegar
2 1/2 tb lemon juice
Pour over cabbage and mix well, allow to chill in fridge for 2 hours before serving.

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

Back