Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Help Choosing a Smoker for a Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
TNTgill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love my BGE. It is amazing but I understand not wanting to drop a dime on it (received mine as a wedding present, ie best present ever!) I would get the WSM if I needed another smoker now. I had a electric smoker than cost ~90 bucks and it would not get up to temps if the wind was breezy. I have seen the WSM at BBQ comps and they are nice. I say get it unless you decide to pony up the cash then get an egg....you won't regret it.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
worthogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second the UDS. If you're handy you can build it yourself easy in 2 or 3 hours. If you're not into that, there are kits available so you don't have to source all the parts. I've never used an egg, but I can tell you the UDS consistently turns out some of the best barbeque you could get. Once you get your temp dialed in it's "set it and forget it". You could probably smoke for over 24 hrs with a full basket of charcoal and not have to reload. It's super fuel efficient. Can you tell I'm biased? I'm all for cool toys, but these smokers are just so simple they will not fail you. Happy smokin'!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Scribble
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought a 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain this spring and I love it. I got it used for $175 and it was in perfect condition. I would suggest also spending 50 bucks on a remote temperature gauge. Then go to cash and carry and buy their ridiculously cheap Lazzeri lump charcoal.

Sometimes it would be nice to have sliding racks, or even just the larger WSM, but most of the time it's perfect for my family.

Andy

Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
gunsout
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i also have a UDS and love it. the only problem i have is i cant find a dome lid to fit the circumference of my uds so i cant smoke turkeys. but using the minion method for coal you can easily get 12 hours of cook time and its some of the best chow ive eaten. though im strongly contemplating selling it and my gas grill and buying a bge off craigslist.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
TNTgill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a bge and smoked a butt last weekend for 16 hours and still have the charcoal left that I loaded up in it...roughly 4 lbs left. It's super efficient

Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Great feedback, thanks.

As nice as the BGE is I'd love to get it; however, it's really pricey and I recently bought a nice grill. I began considering the UDS before starting the thread, but the footprint on a 55 gallon drum isn't small and it'd force a big rearrangement of garage stuff - also it'd be a big challenge to effectively use that since its got so much cooking space.

The more I read about the brinkmann, the more it seems its got to be modified for good performance.

My manager is happy with the electric smoker he uses, but he too modified it to improve its performance.

For the moment, the WSM is in the lead, but I'm not ready to decide yet.

Any other good/bad reviews are still very appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
jammin

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I always enjoy this video of doing a pork butt on a WSM:

Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6253 Times on 5427 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewWNC View Post
Like most charcoal smokers they require attention
My WSM doesn't require any attention.

The only reason I mess with it is because it's boring to just let it sit there and do it's thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled View Post
For the moment, the WSM is in the lead, but I'm not ready to decide yet.

Any other good/bad reviews are still very appreciated.
UDS' are nice if you are into DIY.

WSM straight of the box is wonderful. My only complaint about it is that you can't add a lot of charcoal through the door; but then again - you shouldn't need to add any charcoal unless you're cooking for more than 24 hours.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I went with the camp chef 24" smoke vault a couple years ago and am very pleased with my purchase. It's propane powered and allows me some automation without losing all control. The automation is the propane power. I no longer need to be keeping coals on hand and ready, or swapping in fresh coals with old ash. Plus I retain control of the wood I choose to use versus a pellet burner. I can harvest wood from fruit and nut trees in my area for free most times. Apple has by far been my favorite for pork ribs.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 817 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I love my WSM. Under $300, easy to use, and I've gotten it so that it will go for 22 hours straight or more on a single load of coals. I added a DigiQ controller and now can even do overnight cooks in the middle of Wisconsin January.

Oh, and Mem Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, home Depot has a huge sale on charcoal. 40.4 lbs of Kkngsford blue for $10. I think Ive bought 180 lbs so far this summer.

Quick Reply