New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Tri Clover Heater Element - Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdude76 View Post
I have a mig welder. Thought I needed a TIG for this type of work.
You can weld SS with MIG. You would need to make sure you use SS wire. My shop has a nice fancy new Lincoln welder that has a pulse mode which is very helpful in keeping the temperature of the weld in check.

Others on the forum would be better versed in the reasons for using TIG over MIG though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
MrSpooky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

maby here.... Iv done business with this guy. quick shipping and good customer support.
http://www.hillbillystills.com/Heating_Element_plate_p/hecp.htm

Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You would need SS wire and tri mix gas helium/argon/co2. Tig is much more controlled. If you are going to use mig only do 1/4 of the weld at a time allowing it to cool between welds. Otherwise you may warp the fitting. You also may want to back purge the tank. When your done you need to treat the welds with acid bath to make the corrosion resistance work again.

on tap pumpkin ale, impaled ale, chocolate honey porter
on deck to be jolted by 9000w ??

Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I soldered 2" TriClamp into my keggle, I used a custom machined dimple tool though (so that probably doesn't help you. Ill try to get some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyers View Post
My experience with soldering SS was it cracks easily. I had a 1/2" fitting in my keggle and it kept cracking any time i wasn't super careful with it. I went and welded on my fittings with MIG and now i wish i just drilled a 1 1/8" hole and stabbed the heater in with the stock o ring and a SS locknut on the inside.
I've seen this reported occasionally on the soldering thread, to be honest I'm not sure what happens to these people. Reading reports like this had me spooked so I did some test solders and beat them with a hammer. I was very impressed with how strong they were (they can be broken free with pretty good direct blows, but I'm not at all worried about them in service). YMMV though.

If you can get a nice clean weld done, its defiantly better. For me the soldering was good enough for now.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you have the kettle in a stand where it wont be moved you should be ok. I don't have a stand so it gets dragged in and out of storage and into my yard or garage.

on tap pumpkin ale, impaled ale, chocolate honey porter
on deck to be jolted by 9000w ??

Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
homebrewdude76
Recipes 

I am guessing I can just measure what people use for a 1" and scale it up?

I can easily have something custom machined.

[QUOTE=AllanMar;4970247]I soldered 2" TriClamp into my keggle, I used a custom machined dimple tool though (so that probably doesn't help you. Ill try to get some pics.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

2" TC ferrule is 2" O.D. I made the mistake of having the tool machined to 2" OD. I also had to use a punch which a greater difference then I used for the 1" ferrules (1.734"), as that's all I had (the next size up was too close to 2"). Have to pull through more material and the exact 2" diameter tool left me with too small a hole. As I wanted to dimple out, I couldn't pull the fitting through, which meant lots of time with a die grinder/hammer to get them to fit in.

EDIT: the 1" OD tool for the 1" ferrules worked quite well (took a little grinding but allowed a tight fit), i suspect it was using the smaller punch that caused the issues.

I'd recommend making your tool slightly larger, IMHO its not hard to use a hammer (a cold chisel can seal any gaps) to bang the hole slightly smaller. If I did it all over again I would make it slightly larger then 2" have a gap and then get progressively bigger so you have options.

File Type: pdf 2in Backing.PDF (33.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf 2in Swage.PDF (33.5 KB, 49 views)

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
Toymaker
Arrgh!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Don't bother with MIG, Unless you are an absolute pro welding stainless It won't turn out very nice....I've all but ruined a keggle with MIG using stainless wire and trigas..Just a friendly word of warning. Been there done that. FAIL....
I now have to remove a couple 1/2 couplings from a Keggle. I'm hoping I can replace one of them with another 1/2 but one of them is going to have to be 1" because of bad weld.

Cheers,
Gary

Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
homebrewdude76
Recipes 

What is the best method to actual drill/punch the hole this size?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #20
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 147

For a two inch hole, I used a half inch Greenlee conduit punch to make a hole big enough for the 1 1/2" conduit punch. The resulting hole needed to be enlarged just slightly to get the ferrule through. Then it got fixtured and TIG'd in place.

I will admit that I am lucky to have that punch set available to me. It's also got the hydraulic puller which makes life so much easier!

Check me out on Untappd. Or don't. See if I care.

Quick Reply