Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Looking for one of P-J's designs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Broham1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Broham1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 320
Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts

Default Looking for one of P-J's designs

I've seen lots of references to this diagram for single PID, single element:
image-710611361.jpg

But i'd like to add a flashing buzzer attached to the PID alarm and simple switch to turn off the buzzer, like in this photo:
image-130300133.jpg

Can someone find this diagram? I also need a part number for the switch.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help and inspiration!

Micah

__________________
Broham1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,284
Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default

You requested a simple Alarm Disable switch. The one shown in the diagram (switch #4) is a $6 unit from Auber Instruments. You can get the switch you want at Ace Hardware or most any hardware store. With that said - either one of the switches listed below can be substituted for switch #4 in the following diagram:
Lowes.com SPST switch
HomeDepot.com SPST switch

And then the diagram that I set up for you:
- As usual click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")



I hope this is of some help to you.

P-J

__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Broham1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Broham1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 320
Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
You requested a simple Alarm Disable switch. The one shown in the diagram (switch #4) is a $6 unit from Auber Instruments. You can get the switch you want at Ace Hardware or most any hardware store. With that said - either one of the switches listed below can be substituted for switch #4 in the following diagram:
Lowes.com SPST switch
HomeDepot.com SPST switch

And then the diagram that I set up for you:
- As usual click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")



I hope this is of some help to you.

P-J
P-J,

You've done it again! Thank you! I'm looking to start building this over the next few months, so more questions may come later.

But, for now, thank you so much for everything you do!

Micah
__________________
Broham1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
SaevaVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

P-J,

I have been stalking your builds for awhile and please let me take a moment to say thanks for all the time you have sunken into helping various members on the HBT forum, if only everyone were so helpful...

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the above diagram but have a simple question. I am no electrician but I do know that I don't want my new rig to kill me. Is it possible to get appropriate protection from an inline GFCI cord?

The reason I ask is I will be moving a lot over the next few years (I am a surgeon in training) and can't always count on the apartment having a GFCI protected outlet for the dryer. So I was hoping to build in protection to my rig.

Also is there any harm in having an inline GFCI if the outlet is already GFCI protected? In that scenario which would pop if I hit the e-stop?

Thanks for your help and I hope my non-electrician questions are not too plebeian.

Andrew

__________________
SaevaVeritas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,284
Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaevaVeritas View Post
...
Is it possible to get appropriate protection from an inline GFCI cord?

The reason I ask is I will be moving a lot over the next few years (I am a surgeon in training) and can't always count on the apartment having a GFCI protected outlet for the dryer. So I was hoping to build in protection to my rig.

Also is there any harm in having an inline GFCI if the outlet is already GFCI protected? In that scenario which would pop if I hit the e-stop?
...
Andrew,

Something to keep in mind. Most all of the GFCI in line power cords are rated for equipment protection and not for the protection of you. With that said, be very careful in you planning. This is the base reason for the choice of a GFCI Spa Panel. You can set it up as a plug in device so that your brew rig and you are protected.

Another note: I do not think you will ever see a GFCI protected dryer outlet.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
SaevaVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Andrew,

Something to keep in mind. Most all of the GFCI in line power cords are rated for equipment protection and not for the protection of you. With that said, be very careful in you planning. This is the base reason for the choice of a GFCI Spa Panel. You can set it up as a plug in device so that your brew rig and you are protected.

Another note: I do not think you will ever see a GFCI protected dryer outlet.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J
Ok I didn't understand that before thanks P-J. Would you recommend that I set this up so the spa box is at a distance from my brew rig? Or is there a as to make sure this is totally water proof?

My ideal would be to fix this to the underside of my rig. So that it would look tidy. But if I have to haul the box away from the rig to be safe I could do that too.
__________________
SaevaVeritas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,284
Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaevaVeritas View Post
Ok I didn't understand that before thanks P-J. Would you recommend that I set this up so the spa box is at a distance from my brew rig? Or is there a as to make sure this is totally water proof?

My ideal would be to fix this to the underside of my rig. So that it would look tidy. But if I have to haul the box away from the rig to be safe I could do that too.
The Spa Panel is a water proof enclosure. As long as you make your connections to it and from it reasonably water proof (connect from the underside) there would be no problem mounting it as you describe.
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
SaevaVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

P-J,


Thanks for all your help already!

I was wondering if you would have the time to make a few adjustments to the above diagram.

1) I was hoping to add one of the Auberins timers (such as: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=290) and connect it to the same alarm buzzer as the PID so I can set my mash times and have it go off at the end. Some setups have a separate switch to pause the timer but as I understand it the ones at Auberins can reset and pause from with in the timer unit. Is this your understanding?

2) It would be nice to have two separate switches to turn off the alarm signal coming from the timer and PID.

3) Also I was hoping you could adjust the diagram to make the element and pump power have both switches and indicators rather than the combined illuminated switch. My project box is rather large and I think it would look nicer to have both.

Your help is immensely valuable.

Thanks again,
Andrew

__________________
SaevaVeritas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,284
Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default

Andrew,

Quick question. Which switches do you want to use?
auberins.com - Selector Switch, 2-Position Maintained

Or a plain toggle switch like www.grainger.com - Toggle Switch 2VLN5

Can't draw it without the info.

__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
SaevaVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Andrew,

Quick question. Which switches do you want to use?
auberins.com - Selector Switch, 2-Position Maintained

Or a plain toggle switch like www.grainger.com - Toggle Switch 2VLN5
Hey P-J,

I think the Auberins look much nicer...don't you?

Thanks for the quick reply,
Andrew
__________________
SaevaVeritas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mash tun designs HollisBT Equipment/Sanitation 9 09-08-2012 11:54 PM
Hop Trellis Designs hopkettle Other 16 02-27-2012 07:21 PM
Hop addition designs hoppybrewster General Beer Discussion 11 01-09-2012 03:07 AM
Trellis Designs? Boerderij_Kabouter Hops Growing 114 11-15-2010 06:42 PM
New Label Designs BBQBrew General Beer Discussion 8 08-08-2005 02:52 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS