Lets see how crazy its gotten. How much have you spent on your Electric Brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennihana

Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of a brand new everything brewery build and i have always thought i could do it for a fraction of what i see commercial products cost. So far what i am seeing is that the prices sure do add up quickly and that you may have a plan but it just seems to keep getting bigger.

So i want to know what have you spent on different aspects of your brewery whether its an E-BIAB or a full scale 3-tier system.

What was the cost of your control panel?

Where have you found your best deals?

What would you change if you could?

Best advice for others looking to getting into electric brewing?

Pics?

Im also in the middle of building my electric brewery. I have built the brew table and I'm in the middle of sourcing parts for the control panel. Hopefully I will have eveything to start fabrication of the panel in the next few days. With that I've spent about $600. I still need to buy the componets for the inside of the panel then the pots. I'm hoping to be all in around $1200.

$1074 so far. I have bought $576 of parts (and about $200 of parts I am not using).

I have an additional $500-$800 to spend on the physical parts, then another $500-$1000 for plumbing.

Amazon. Ebay. ebrewsupply, and automationdirect. You can also buy wire by the foot from Home Depot $0.25-$0.59 per ft. depending on the AWG.

I just inherited a PLC and cabinet from work! I also had a keg sitting in my backyard, that was a good deal!

Cheaper. Get a bigger cabinet!

Do your research, make sure your wiring is correct before you power anything on.

As of right now i am on budget to do a $500 E-BIAB that inlcudes a 20 plate wort chiller, kettle, control panel, elements, grain mill, pump, etc... i will see what i can do about keeping close records to see how low i can actually keep this build. and everything is stainless.

$1552.91 back in 2008/2009. Part prices have gone up considerably since then (example: I paid $19.99 for the relays, they're now $29.99). I did get a lot from eBay scouring for the best deals, and some of the parts were used. This does not include all the extra parts I bought because I was designing it at the time (trial and error) like these:

IMG_7804.jpg

It also doesn't include shipping/taxes, or the tools used to build it.

I've noticed that since then some of the parts have gone up quite a bit in price (I've seen quite a few sellers gauging).

eBay. For example, I paid $57 for my Omega PTC-21 timer (normally about $200). You have to be very patient . Took me months to get all the parts in.

Nothing at all. I did add a "safe start interlock" feature to my control panel after the fact that doesn't allow the panel to be turned on if either pump is on or if one of the heating elements is on. This was done for safety reasons. In retrospect I should have designed this into my panel from the start.

Do it right the first time. It'll likely cost you less.

Pictures available in the link in my signature.

Cheers,

Kal

I have bought everything I need for about 1300. That's pots, pumps, controller parts etc. Still finishing it up though so dont have a build thread yet. It's a typical HERMS, but on dual 120s instead of 240v. eBay is the dream.

I just purchased the last piece for my e-biab build today. Hoping to be brewing a test batch with the new system next week.
here's my build
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/gts-e-biab-build-461536/

This was the cheap part of the build for me. I was fortunate enough to pick up most of the components from work. I could have gone cheaper but I wanted the lighted switches. All I had to purchase was the PID, switches and panel tags
My completed control panel ran me about $125

Amazon, brewhardware.com, bargainfittings

Hopefully I can answer this next week

Do your research, ask questions and be patient. There are deals out there

I spent 1500 on my DIY Kal kit. The brewery total for everything is just under 6k.

No changes yet since I am still building it.

Best advice is plan it out carefully. I spent a couple months adjusting the parts in the spreadsheet and drawing diagrams of each brewing step to figure out exactly what fittings were needed.

Here is where I am at so far:

Stout Tanks and Kettles ($2471.13)

Ebay ($80)

Amazon ($84.98)

eBrewSupply ($538)

Brewers Hardware ($469)

Stainless Brewing ($472)

Monster Hardware ($319)

Industrial Metal Supply ($182)

Mountain Electric Supply ($150)

Running Total: $4765.98

I did add a mill to the setup. I am single tier and 30-gallon vessels. That includes everything for my panel and the little odds and ends. It generally includes tax and shipping where applicable, but doesn't include any tools I had to buy (hardly any) or consumable tools used (75ar/25co2 welding gas, er70s6 wire, grinding wheels, drill bits, cutting oil, etc).

Control panel is about $1000. This includes enclosure, bcs462, temp probes, and various twist lock plugs for elements and pumps.

Still building, but I HIGHLY recommend DIN rail stuff. DIN Rails are awesome! I wish I would have had a more element ports installed in my kettles from the get go (I only have one in the HLT and one in the BK), but I am building my panel for 4-elements so that once I get around welding in some ferrules I can run all 4 elements.

I wish I would have skipped the XLR plugs for the temp probe mounts and just used M12 connectors. I have those for the vessel end of the temp probe wire and they rock! I am firing the relays with 20/2 thermostat wiring. Nice and clean and feeds into the bcs really well.

I went with a big heat sink and all 5 of my dual SSRs fit on it nicely. That was a good call.

I'll keep you posted on the rest...

I would highly recommend some quality tools for working with wires. These auto size and strip from 6ga to 20-something gauge. The cutter/crimper on the right is good for the rest of it.

Here are the M12 connectors inline on the wire. BrewersHardware also sells a panel mount version.

OMG. Nothing complete yet. I have most of the control panel, some of the fittings and the Blingmann pots either in the house or on the way (hurray for the cosmetic defects and AiH's rewards program). So far, since the first of the year when I started this project, I have been tracking every penny (just in case the CFO/SWMBO requires a report), the total so far...over 2 grand.

Now, that includes the control panel minus the PIDs and timer and enclosure; however all 3 Blichmann pots and false bottom and 2 Chugger pumps with stainless center inlet heads (thanks Bobby!) have been aquired.

I figure outside the table, ventilation, element and element attachment components, I still have around a grand to go. My wife is really awesome, I mean she really is! Granted, when this is done, school is paid for, the credit cards are paid off (no credit used for this project mind you), she gets a sewing machine that costs over 8 grand. She's worth it though. At least my stuff can be bought a bit at a time, no so with that sewing machine, still, I have to admit that contraption she wants really does rock! And, I get my clothes fixed for free, and sometimes with benefit :).

My best advice, BE PATIENT!!!! For the love of Pete! Start a spreadsheet to track the parts you need and the prices you find on eBay, Amazon, ProFlow, StainlessBrewing, BrewHardware, BargainFittings, etc. Get an Amazon Prime account if feasible, it will let you buy stuff that drops dirt cheap without having to meet the minimum total for free shipping. Follow www.homebrewfinds.com closely, the guy finds just stupid good deals. Do not make snap purchases unless you find a significant discount like what Bobby did on the pumps for April Fools. Don't go into debt, take your time, no hurry for this. You can brew great beer with a stove, two simple pots, an Igloo style cooler/false bottom and some pitchers. A good friend of mine is proof, he's won 3 Golds lately on a system that would cost less than a single 20 gallon Blichmann and has qualified for the master's level competitions. Look at the new fittings that have been produced since Kal did his system. There are better bulkheads and compression fittings than he used, just check StainlessBrewing for their HERMS bulkhead fittings, those rock. You don't have to use the quick disconnects that Kal uses, check the camlocks, much cheaper and just as functional, better flow rate too.

If you are ready to buy your kettles and are going to get the Blichmann's, check out Adventures in Homebrewing. You can purchase cosmetic defect units at a descent discount from them. Once you spend $400, you get a $20 gift card. Say you haven't purchased anything from them, get the first 20g pot and some other needed items (surely you can find something that will get you from the $382.74 to $400 mark). Oh, did I mention that shipping is free for the Blichmann kettles? Next, use that credit to get the $20 off the second, rinse, repeat. Heck, by the 3rd kettle, I had enough to get a $30 credit. Saved me nearly $200!

If you have a local home brew club, JOIN! There are two guys in my club with Greenlee punches that will let me use them. One has a plasma cutter. One has a Kal clone built from a kit. You can really get some great help and advise by connecting with a local brew club.

Hope this helps you. Shoot me a message if you need any clarification, etc.

I kept a spreadsheet with costs which I'd recommend. I started with a small concrete room and had to buy tools/supplies to finish it. Then I collected all the brewery kettles/equipment. Haven't looked at spreadsheet in a while but not counting the keezer I'm probably in the $10k - $12k range. Panel cost was $2,500.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

I'm in for a lot less than others, but I didn't get too fancy.

My spread sheet says I spent 246$ on my control panel..well box. I used an ammo box that was on sale for 7$. 2 PID's for MT and HLT, PWM for BK and another PWM for the pump. Amp and volt meter, switches and all that stuff. I had a bunch of wire laying around but I still had to buy some and that was another 20$ or so for wire and connectors. Also I had the pwm already but you can get one off eBay (40a) for ~19$.

So all in all it was just under 300$ for my budget panel. Kal's panel is amazing, don't get me wrong.

The expensive parts really are the cables (~50$), spa panel (~60$), and heating element setup (~50$) and connectors. I went with a bunch of the switch crafts which so far are awesome and pretty cheap.

RIMS tube was another 50$. 3/4" SS with a stainless 800W cartridge element. Haven't got to use/test it out yet though.

I refuse to add up total brewery costs :D

I didn't keep too close of tabs, but something like:

2k for 3 stout-tanks 20g vessels with shipping
300 for 2 center inlet stainless pumps
100 for two heating elements and enclosures w\ cords
800 for control panel
200 for other tri-clamp stuff
200 for other odds and ends

so, 3.6k is conservative, probably somewhere between 3.6k and 4k

Ouch, I'd never added it up before. Now I'm sad :(

BWB, kinda sad isn't it? I was shooting to keep my build under 4k and then all of a sudden I was pushing 5k. I still need to order some more triclamp stuff that I forgot. That $#!t gets expensive! It will be blinging when I am done though.

I spent a lot, but when I first started I was looking at spending a thousand more to get a brew magic and still needing to buy things. Its a rationalization, but its my rationalization and I like it nonetheless.

I tried to keep track, but I am sure I missed the little stuff. About $1600 to $1700. All triclover, bought at scrap prices, including triclover pumps. Pump motor bought off ebay, as well as twist locks, ssr's, din mount breakers, all off the bay. Some items were purchased at a surplus supply here in ohio. The new stuff were things like a 50 amp breaker, spa panel, bcs, temp probes, and thermometers. l even bought the 6 guage wire at a scrap yard. I had a long run, about 80 feet. The electric run alone was over $300. I spent just under two years gathering the items needed, because I did not have deep pockets.

Create a budget. Spend lots of time refining it. When you're certain you've thought of everything, add 25%.

This. I had priced out just about everything and had a budget just under $5k. Add in shipping, several trips to the hardware store for lots and lots of odds and ends and I'm now sitting at close to $6500 all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll repeat what most have said, spend a lot of time refining your budget and planing out your build. I tried to combine as many orders as possible to save on shipping.

I built a simple ebiab controller: 1 Auber PID, RTD sensor, 3 switches, 1 LED, 1 220V L630 receptacle and a pair of 120V receptacles (one switched, 1 always hot) and I have around $225 in it. I bought the 5500W element diy kit from eBrewSupply which was $95. I also had to install 30A service, which I was able to do myself, for around $90 (GFCI breaker, wire and outlet). I probably spent another $100 in additional tools and miscellaneous.

I rationalize it by saying that I got $225 in the controller and $95 in electrifying the kettle. The service in the garage is nice to have and I'll most likely use the extra tools that I bought.

I really wanted off propane for 2 reasons: safety and fuel costs. Now, I can walk away and not worry and my wife feels much safer when I say I am brewing. She was convinced that one day, I was going to burn the house down!

BWB, kinda sad isn't it? I was shooting to keep my build under 4k and then all of a sudden I was pushing 5k. I still need to order some more triclamp stuff that I forgot. That $#!t gets expensive! It will be blinging when I am done though.

Yeah, its nuts how the little things add up, especially with tri-clamp. I'm looking at making a new external HERMS / CFC heat exchanger. Not counting the copper to make the actual HEX, just the various TC fittings to connect it all:

4x NPT to TC at 15-20 bucks a piece
4x TC hose barbs for new hoses at 10-12 bucks a piece
4x new TC clamps, at 7 bucks a piece

So, maybe 150 bucks, with shipping. And that doesn't even include the actual HEX!!!

I still stand by TC though. I'm constantly switching up the brewery, it is rarely in the same configuration for two brews in a row. Measuring temps in different spots, changing where valves are, stuff like that.

TC makes brewing like legos. Really expensive, shiny legos.

I rationalize it by saying ....

My 2 cents: For most, brewing is a hobby, so don't fee like you need to rationalize anything.

A hobby's something we do because you like to do it, not because it saves us money.

You never hear golfers or fishermen rationalizing their latest golf club or trolling motor! ;)

My 2 cents: For most, brewing is a hobby, so don't fee like you need to rationalize anything.

A hobby's something we do because you like to do it, not because it saves us money.

You never hear golfers or fishermen rationalizing their latest golf club or trolling motor! ;)

My hobbies cost a ton of money. That is what is great about hobbies, they are exempt from rational thinking! People ask me why I need 10k in metal fab tools in my garage and my response: " is that a lot? I'm just starting to build up my tools!"

So Kal is right, have fun and rdwhahb. :)

Yeah, its nuts how the little things add up, especially with tri-clamp. I'm looking at making a new external HERMS / CFC heat exchanger. Not counting the copper to make the actual HEX, just the various TC fittings to connect it all:

4x NPT to TC at 15-20 bucks a piece
4x TC hose barbs for new hoses at 10-12 bucks a piece
4x new TC clamps, at 7 bucks a piece

So, maybe 150 bucks, with shipping. And that doesn't even include the actual HEX!!!

I still stand by TC though. I'm constantly switching up the brewery, it is rarely in the same configuration for two brews in a row. Measuring temps in different spots, changing where valves are, stuff like that.

TC makes brewing like legos. Really expensive, shiny legos.

i have found a lot of stainless steel triclamp fittings on ebay for under $6 a piece with free shipping. they come from china so it may take a a couple of weeks to get but i have had good luck with ebay.

you are absolutely correct, but i dont rationalize it for my sake. I do it because SWMBO is not happy when i spend money on my hobbby. but getting into the female psyche is another can of worms.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GucE7PdVnhOVZvVXpscHZ1cWs/edit?usp=sharing
Not quite done yet, but it is a soup to nuts zero to All Grain Electric set-up. I will be $9,500 to $10,000. Feel free to copy my budget. Unexpected costs are the 14% in exchange, customs fees of up to 10% of the value of the goods, and the shipping. My wife didn't let me use my bonus, she forced me since she was sick of me pining away on Kal's site. This will be a once in a lifetime investment.

Pics?

My control panel was relatively inexpensive as it just runs on 120V , and I had a few things laying around. (approx $200)

As most said, Ebay is a good source for deals if you're patient.

If I was to do it again, I'd go single tier from the start.

Advise for others looking at electric....don't discount HERMS,it's a simpler control panel.

this is approx $1500 (everything you see in the picture, including the stand.
IMG_0449_zpsd1f6b575.jpg

I refuse to acknowledge what I have sunk in my home brewery... yup... I'm in complete denial!! I've been at this for almost 10 years, and I've chased more rabbits down the hole than I care to admit, from automated propane to now all-electric based on a BCS-462. The info is there - I track finances using Quicken, and I have a couple dozen categories devoted to homebrewing. OK, OK... I've run the report... but then immediately erased the figure from my memory!

Needless to say, I will NEVER turn a profit brewing my own - but DAMN I SURE DO LOVE THIS HOBBY!!! :)

The switch from stovetop to electric brewing was probably about $300. That includes the 15 gallon kettle that I didn't own beforehand. I still have a great deal of hands on tasks that various electric elements could take care of for me but that would take some fun out of it. I also had what seems like the cheapest electric brewing budget ever.

Of course that price doesn't include the existing equipment on hand, mill, fermenters, mash tun, that sort of thing. It's just the difference in making the jump.
About $120, plugs included

If starting from no equipment at all probably an e-biab setup. Already had the cooler tun and just keep using it.
Do it. Even with my limited use of what an electric brewery is capable of it made my brew day significantly easier and shorter.
Pics?
I have a write up on Using 2 vessel e-brewing. Though the system is far from perfect it suits my needs just fine.

I have about $1,200-1,500 in my whole electric setup minus the conical and carboys...
My build thread is posted here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/facelift-my-control-panel-497593/
I too bought most of my components from places like ebay or amazon... If I would have bought everything from a one stop shop middleman I would easily be at over $3 grand...

For example my control panel cost me about $280-$300 to build but when I priced out the cheapest equivalent components to get the same job done safely the most popular recommended "supplier" it was $640. (and this doesn't include shipping, the 24v powersupply, pwm speed controllers, cooling fan or wire whereas the $280-$300 I spent does.) Thats a huge difference to rationalize with "support" for me... Especially when both sources are using the same manufacturers for most of it in china.

I'm in for about 1500 for a 120V Rims and propane burner setup minus the fermentation pieces. My only regret is not going big sooner in my brewing life, and not brewing more than I do.

Like others have said, it's a hobby. And like my wife says, homebrewing is cheaper than strippers and coke.

Coworker asked me one day recently how much I've spent on my hobby. I added it up and came up with about $8000. He said wow that's a lot. Next day he came back and said you know what, that's really not a lot. I've got 20 grand in wood working equipment in my basement and it doesn't make me beer.

Coworker asked me one day recently how much I've spent on my hobby. I added it up and came up with about $8000. He said wow that's a lot. Next day he came back and said you know what, that's really not a lot. I've got 20 grand in wood working equipment in my basement and it doesn't make me beer.

Funny when you put it into perspective...! No one blinks when I dropped 2 grand on some welding equipment last december. But two grand on some kettles and I must be crazy. :drunk:

Exactly! One of my friends constantly tells me how "excessive" and "unnecessary" my brewing equipment is (currently around $1000 I'd say, but will really increase to around $5k or so in the next 18 mos). I feel like asking him why he rides around on a $12k motorcycle in a climate that is cold and miserable for half the year.

This is great information. Confirms my decision to purchase the Brew-Boss system. When all is said and done, I'll have a complete, efficient eBIAB system for around $1,500ish.

50 AMP panel, tables, kettles, pumps, valves, fittings, sink, pre-rinse, RO, water storage,
just breaking $4500.00.
Next purchase 2 1/2 barrel conical fermenters..

In my 8 grand i'm including a lot of misc stuff too:

Sink
Faucet
Stainless Table
Plumbing parts
^^^ $1500

2 14.8 cu ft chest freezers
2 2-stage temp controllers
^^^ $1200

3 boiler makers (20, 15, 20)
2 boil coils
1 louver false bottom
1 RIMS rocket
1 therminator
2 march 815-PL pumps
^^^ $2500

100GPD RO system
^$100

Control panel w/ 3 controllers
^^^ $900

Then there's a mountain of stainless fittings, tubing, racking canes, carboy caps, carboy and tube brushes, fermenters, grain mill, hand crafted mash paddle, 2 blichmann burners, hydrometer, refractometer, etc, etc
^^^ $1500+

Good chance its more than 8 grand, especially in today's dollars. Only a small percentage is actually exclusive electric components.

EDIT: Forgot about the 7 kegs, 5lb CO2 tank, 20lb CO2 tank, 5 sets of gas QDs, 7 sets of liquid QDs and beer gun.
^^^ $800

Latest posts

Back