Control Panel HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxmuir

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im currently setting up a new 3 vessel 50 litre electric system. I am finally at the point of confusion that im asking for help. I want to build a simple a control panel set up (nothing like the 'electric brewery') just a few switches but my electric knowledge is less than ideal.
I have a ramp/soak PID connected to a RTD on my HLT which has a HERMS coil in it and i have a 5500 ULWD cameo element in my kettle.
I need any advice on how i would go about setting up a control panel?? i.e. any pitfalls or advice or if anyone has attempted the same type of set up

Cheers

That's a pretty vague question to be honest..

First of all, you need to know what functions you want in your control panel, ("just a few switches" doesn't tell us much). Then you need to map out what components will do that for your. Then you should figure out if the wiring diagram is safe, no electric shocks if you touch this and that. Then you should ask a friend who has some electrical knowledge to wire it for your, and also ask him or her for some advice.

Probably not the answer you were looking for. But reading from your post it seems like your should find a drawing board and start there.

Don't fool around with electricity, especially not in a wet environment. If you're dead you can't brew.

Yeah that's a pretty open question there...so open answer is:

plug things in so that you don't die, and so power flows into the element from your source, via a series of wires and switches.

Hi all,

I am finally at the point of confusion that im asking for help. I want to build a simple control panel set up (nothing like the 'electric brewery') just a few switches but my electric knowledge is less than ideal.

That's the first thing you need to remedy. Start reading and then read some more and then finally read some more.

Go to theelectricbrewery.com and read his instructions three times over until you understand how his system works inside and out.

And THEN decide if you really do want a simple control panel or if you want something more and the only reason that you said that you wanted something simple was because you were intimidated by the seemingly complex control panel setups.

That's the first thing you need to remedy. Start reading and then read some more and then finally read some more.

Go to theelectricbrewery.com and read his instructions three times over until you understand how his system works inside and out.

And THEN decide if you really do want a simple control panel or if you want something more and the only reason that you said that you wanted something simple was because you were intimidated by the seemingly complex control panel setups.

Agreed. I also suggest that if you do end up building a panel that you leave extra room for expansion. I bought Kal's back to back kit (HIGHLY recommended BTW) and have already modified it twice to add extra functionality. It's really hard to know everything you need until you actually put it into practice.

Also, you are talking about some pretty serious current here. Sparky can and will kill you if you do something stupid. Don't rule out buying a pre built solution. Kal's panels are very reasonably priced, especially when you take specialty tools (and labor) needed to complete them into account, and they are definitely cheaper than the average funeral. :cross:

There are also the BCS panels if you want to go that way. They are available assembled here.

Back