Auber temp overshoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's one thing for a PID to overshoot the temp until it's tuned to the system. However, I don't understand why it's continuing to fire the element even though it's 10 degrees over the target temp.

It's in Auto mode -- double checked this, and I watched it long enough to confirm it's not on a regular duty cycle. It's somewhat randomly firing for short bursts.

The target temp is 125 and it slowly walked right past that all the way up to 135 over the course of 20 minutes I've been watching it.

I have the probe that's running the PID on the outlet of the kettle before the hose/pump/recirc. I have another probe in a TriClamp port (for testing; it's really a sight glass port) in the side of the kettle that is reading the same temperature.

Is this just a function of running an Auto-Tune cycle? It seems pretty wonky that it's this far off...

Few more details
- It's the SYL-2352.
- I have about 12 gallons in the kettle
- The pump is running full bore; plenty of circulation

...oh, and there's a steak floating around in there for testing :) It's been over an hour since I started, so it's not the steak.

Check the manual, but one controller I recent looked at changed the sp by 10 degrees for the auto tune feature. Yours may be one of those.

Double checked all the settings. No offset that I can see (the Pb value is set to zero). I set the I, P and d values back to default (1000/500/120) and confirmed the rest are default or sane.

30 minutes later and it's still doing it after resetting the values.

I put it in manual mode @ 0% output until the temp dropped back to 131F. Just now I turned it back on Automatic mode and it's up to 134F and still occasionally firing away... wtf....

I think it's concerned I'm brewing outside in the middle of a blizzard.

Oh, its the 2362 that I had the offset, and it actually dropped the SP by 10, so that's obviously not it. Dunno, man. Only other thing I could think would be the Hy value or the OP direction reversed, but neither of those should cause on and off firing while above SP. Sorry.

Contact the folks at Auber. They are very helpful and will get your PID squared away.

Did you auto tune? This commonly happens when you don't autotune, or your autotune was done poorly.

see post 307 in the link below for the best way to do it (I had the same issue you did)

Link to autotune

Did you auto tune? This commonly happens when you don't autotune, or your autotune was done poorly.

see post 307 in the link below for the best way to do it (I had the same issue you did)

Link to autotune

Thanks for the link. I ended up running autotune again yesterday which seems have resolved the issue, I need to pay closer attention the next test run though. Although my PID settings for P/I/D are odd now with two of the values zeroed out (need to look at which).

Thanks for the link. I ended up running autotune again yesterday which seems have resolved the issue, I need to pay closer attention the next test run though. Although my PID settings for P/I/D are odd now with two of the values zeroed out (need to look at which).

don't worry about the settings being odd. I have one PID that has some really odd settings, but when I manually tweak them the temp is thrown off, etc. Just make sure you use the same volume as you typically would whenever you re-autotune (you shouldn't have to do it again if it is working though).

Glad the autotune steps helped out - they have helped out a bunch of guys with this issue of HBT (including me :D)

Back