Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > All Grain Apartment Brewing: Will a 1500W/120V element boil 6 gallons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
tektonjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemy View Post
So I am working on putting a 1500 watt element into my keggle HLT. I only want to get 10-12 gallons of water up to mash temps (170F) I plan to plug my temp controller into a timer, so I don't care about how long it takes, but my question is, will a 1500 watt element get 10-12 gallons up to mash temps?

I have a keggle, I do plan to insulate the outside, and use a lid.

I'm only trying to save on propane costs and I do not want to go to the expense of buying 20 feet of 10 gauge wire, a 240 circuit breaker, connectors and the hassle of installation, not to mention, I would like to remain somewhat mobile if I need to, so 1500 watt is the only reasonable size.
10 gallons 45F to 170F with 1500 watts = 128 minutes

There's a spreadsheet floating around somewhere here with the formulas.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default counts as heat loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
10 gallons 45F to 170F with 1500 watts = 128 minutes

Thanks for the response, but does the equation count for heat loss ? I understand 128 minutes in the perfect world where there is no heat loss, but in a 50 degree garage with my feeble attempt at insulation...

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with it.

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGfan View Post
Hey folks,
The apartment does not have GFCI protection on the outlets, so I'll be relying on plug in GFCI adapters like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/POW...5&cm_vc=HPPVZ3 If there's one available for 220 (I haven't seen one yet) then that may become an option, but for now I'm really only exploring the 120v option.

Thanks guys
They do sell 240V gfci cords, links have been posted here before, just dont remember where, maybe someone else can??

if you got one of those you could get some long SO cord and run a line from your drier or stove outlet and use that to power a 4500 or 5500 element, which will make sure you cane boil/mash in a reasonable amount of time

Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
tektonjp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemy View Post
Thanks for the response, but does the equation count for heat loss ? I understand 128 minutes in the perfect world where there is no heat loss, but in a 50 degree garage with my feeble attempt at insulation...

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with it.
Sorry, that's all I know. You said you didn't care how long it takes. Well, it will take over 2 hours, best case senario.If you insulate the HLT and put a lid on it, then it should be pretty darn close. You should you didn't care how long it takes. Well, it will take over 2 hours, best case scenario.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default worry

Quote:
Sorry, that's all I know. You said you didn't care how long it takes. Well, it will take over 2 hours, best case senario.If you insulate the HLT and put a lid on it, then it should be pretty darn close. You should you didn't care how long it takes. Well, it will take over 2 hours, best case scenario.
2 hours is fine, my only concern is that, due to heat loss, 10-12 gallons would never actually get to 170F.

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
tektonjp
Recipes 

Throw a heat stick in an igloo.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Cybershadow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have a dryer? That uses probably a 30 amp circuit. Replace breaker with 30amp gfci and build yourself a 220v heatstick 4500-5000 watts with a replacment dryer cord. that is exactly what i did.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Throw a heat stick in an igloo.
+1 on the igloo setup.

I tried a 1500W in a 7.5 gallon SS pot and it never gets to a boil. I can get it there with help from the stove top but it loses so much heat that if I turn the range off the boil stops.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
We have a page on our website that allows you to calculate various things related to electric brewing.

Electric Brewing Calculator

It is basically an online version of the spreadsheet referenced above.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
N3Bruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have been using a Butterball Turkey Fryer, which uses a 1650 watt direct immersion element. Getting to a boil with a full pot of 6 gallons of water was marginal at best, as you near boiling, the heat loss from evaporation and radiation through the uninsulated tub was substantial. I decided that the sleek stainless steel look of the turkey fryer had to take a back seat to functionality. I had a big roll of Mylar faced foam insulation leftover from building my house. I wrapped the fryer and lid with this, and with the lid closed, I could reach a boil with relatively little heat loss, but it still took what seemed like forever.

Next step was to insulate the cavity between the tub and the housing. Since the heating element and all electrical wiring were detachable as a unit for cleaning, I could just stuff fiberglass into the space inside the cavity. Back of the envelope calculations for boiling times were reasonable, about an hour to Mash Temp, and another hour to boil. Once boiling, it would boil over if the lid was completely closed, and peter out if fully opened, so I left my stirring spoon across the top to keep the lid open an inch or so, which allows a gentle rolling boil. The basket also come in handy to keep the grain bag off the heating element.

I did an all-grain Porter with the setup, it just doesn't quite have the muscle to heat the Strike water as rapidly as I would have liked, but I managed to make some pretty good beer, despite its limitations. I have also done a couple of extract/partial mash brews with it.

Quick Reply