Brix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
It is worth taking the time to measure specific gravity of kombucha before and after fermentation. This tells you exactly how much sugar is in it (dissolved solids). Hydrometers often read in brix, which is percent sugar by weight. My sweet tea for example has a brix of 5.2 (5.2% sugar), and is made with 1 cup sugar per gallon of water. I tend to bottle around 3, and add a couple of points with my bottling syrup, burning off the sugar over about a week to somewhere between 3 and 4. That means that my finished kombucha is between 3% and 4% sugar by weight.

The more acidic the kombucha is, the more sugar is needed to make it drinkable. The acids are the good stuff, the sugars the "bad stuff"......... the more of one you have, the more of the other you need.

I'm drinking some with a brix of only 2..........most people wouldn't drink it........ it is VERY sour.

I would suggest that people get a hydrometer or refractometer. Hydrometers are cheaper, but I just ordered a second refractometer on Ebay for only $22. I have one that reads brix and potential alcohol, and the new one will read brix and specific gravity. You can use it for other things........ such as checking antifreeze (using a chart). You can check salinity by converting brix to salinity with a chart.....if you have a salt water aquarium or are making pickles or corned beef, etc......... and or course you can use it for making beer and wine.

H.W.

I would actually suggest getting a PH meter. If you couple that with your brix readings, you'll have a much better picture of what is going on. Batches can continue to acidify even if the brix is stable.

Back