Please Report Reactions to "Low-Gluten" Beers to FDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
The FDA has not ruled on gluten standards for hydrolyzed or fermented foods yet, and current TTB regulations on the matter are considered interim until the FDA makes its final ruling.

I've heard from Pedro at New Planet Beer--who is currently working tirelessly to influence the FDA to rule that de-glutenized beers cannot be labeled or advertised as gluten-free or otherwise "safe"--that neither the FDA or the TTB are receiving consumer complaints of adverse reactions to beers like Omission, which (duh) is because no one knows to complain to them.

So I am reaching out in every direction I know to ask that if you are like me and react to Omission or beers like it, please contact the FDA and report it. If we all band together we can hopefully prevent the FDA from letting them fraudulently label their beers as gluten-free, and hopefully even prevent them from having their distributors encourage the fraudulent marketing of their beer as "gluten-free" to restaurants and retailers.

To contact the FDA, please see here: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/default.htm

Or fill out and mail or fax this form:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM349464.pdf

You may think that the FDA ruling is irrelevant, that people who get sick from Omission just won't drink it and will drink something else instead. But many retailers are reluctant to carry GF beer and Omission has the money and distributor network necessary to get priority at many restaurants and retail establishments. If they can call themselves gluten-free, they're taking shelf space away from truly gluten-free beers and preventing these breweries from growing and thriving, thus reducing consumer access to real gluten-free beer.

Aside from buying and asking for real gluten-free beer, such as New Planet, Harvester, Steadfast, Bard's, Green's, and New Grist, reporting your reactions to the FDA is one of the best things you can do to support the future of gluten-free beer in America.

I realize this next comment may get me tarred and feathered... But Red Bridge Ale from A-B isn't bad. I like it more than I ever liked other A-B stuff.

Also dogfish head' tweesan ale is... Available. It is primarily sorghum but has buckwheat honey as well. It had a fruitiness to it that I wasn't sure of. But it is an option as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great post. Personally, I was aware that Omission wasn't truly gluten free but I drank it anyway. I'm not extremely sensitive to gluten, but recently I drank one bottle of their lager and my ears started to feel very warm (gluten messes with my blood flow, raises my blood pressure).

It had never given me a reaction before, so this alerted me that they probably don't have great quality control over how much gluten remains in the beer. Then I came to this forum and found out that clarityferm really isn't reliable at all, for gluten removal.

I'll write up something to the FDA now.

Such beers should be clearly marketed as "gluten reduced". I've corrected a couple servers on this at restaurants; they roll their eyes at me until I jokingly mention lawsuits.

Technically, even calling them "gluten reduced" is an unsubstantiated claim. The problem is that no recognized testing methods are considered valid; if the <20 PPM claim could be substantiated by an acceptable test, then they would be legally allowed to claim gluten-free. But as the test is not scientifically accepted, no claims as to the relative gluten content are scientifically valid.

Technically, even calling them "gluten reduced" is an unsubstantiated claim. The problem is that no recognized testing methods are considered valid; if the <20 PPM claim could be substantiated by an acceptable test, then they would be legally allowed to claim gluten-free. But as the test is not scientifically accepted, no claims as to the relative gluten content are scientifically valid.

Right, but at the very least there should offically be something to separate them. Currently I don't trust any kind of gluten free certification. If they distinguish that gluten reduced are made from ingredients that contain gluten and gluten free are natually... gluten free. I could live with that. I shouldn't have to to online and do research to find out if the bottle marked gluten free was made from barley.

Currently, the TTB labeling regulations limit them from saying anything about the PPM (on the package); all they can say is "crafted to remove gluten", and must stipulate that a) the beer is made from barley, and b) it may contain gluten. The problem is that the TTB doesn't really regulate or enforce how restaurants and retailers merchandise the product. We all need to raise a big fuss about these things or they're just going to go on happening.

Back