Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > All-grain mash schedule for no-malt gluten-free brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Everything is an experiment in this forum, go for it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Indeed, I'll be doing a certain enzymatic addition process this coming weekend or two. Unfortunately, I have no measurements to back anything up to what I'm doing yet.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
KevinM
Recipes 

6 pounds sorghum, gelatinzed, uncracked. Single 160 degree hour long "mash"/soak with 1 gallon of water, with undefined amylase compound. resulted in a 1.010 gravity in an hour, 1.030 at about 2+ hours. I could possibly see about letting it sit longer. Think I'll do a different experiment where I don't do the single soak.

It's also an unappetizing green color... I'll probably just toss it since it was cheap sorghum as an initial process test, and I don't have the time to boil any of it for a few days. I'd have preferred not to have done this today, but the grain was starting to get a bit odd.

Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
bluffwallace
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know how to find out if these amylase enzymes are indeed gluten free?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
KevinM
Recipes 

Check their source. I think some of them say that they're from a fungal source, as opposed to a barley source. I can't recall if any said that they were from other than a fungal source.

Even from a fungal source however, I don't know what their processing techniques are.

I do know how mine went and that it was a fungal source grown on sorghum.. though I forgot to finish off the process of straining, so I'm not quite sure what it's turned into by now. It didn't work very well in any case, so I'll report back when I have a semi-successful process.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used amalyse from my LHBS (after a fermentation got stuck) - with no reactions.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
davecu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default shake-shake or Chibuku

Speaking of sorghum I'm working on homebrewed African Chibuku beer commonly called shake-shake.

I have a 6 lb bottle of malted sorghum extract on the way and the flaked maize will be mashed with Amylase enzyme.

My Recipe for 2 gallons of partial mash shake-shake:
1.75 lbs sorghum extract
2 lbs flaked maize

Boil for 10 minutes then cool.

Pitch with Cry Havoc yeast and WLP677 lactobacillus.

It is supposed to be ready in a few days and is a slightly fizzy, milky, sour, beer with a strength of 6% ABV. It is to be drunk fresh while still fermenting. In addition to the three cases of homebrew I'm bringing to a pig roast next month I might bring a few gallons of shake-shake and see if anyone has the guts to try it. Maybe if I leave out the lactobacillus it will be more acceptable?

Interesting, huh?

shake1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
carguy3507
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Did you ever make this stuff? A quick google search doesn't make it look very appetizing but I'd love to know how it turned out. You should probably start a new thread with some pics if you have them.

Did you serve in a milk carton?

Quick Reply