Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
Just got through with my second batch of extract beer. They both turned out great but taste a little similar. One was a simple NutBrown Ale and the second one was a Vanilla Porter that I modified. I believe they tasted similar because of the yeast. Not sure though. Any tips on better packaged yeast that I can pitch with to get a better tasting beer. .

Which yeasts came with the kits? For me personally, US-05 is my favorite yeast that I have used. I have used it in everything from Russian Imperial Stouts to American Pale Ales....

Nut brown and vanilla proter are fairly robust styles. I doubt the yeast flavors, that tend to be more subtle, had much impact. What was your recipie for each? Also, how much vanilla did you add to the vanilla porter and when? I just did a vanilla porter with 3 oz extract knockout and 3 oz extract in the bottling bucket. Was disappointed that there was no noticable vanilla flavor. I have tossed it back into the closet to condition for another month or so to see if the forward malts will peel back a bit.

william_shakes_beer said:
Nut brown and vanilla proter are fairly robust styles. I doubt the yeast flavors, that tend to be more subtle, had much impact. What was your recipie for each? Also, how much vanilla did you add to the vanilla porter and when? I just did a vanilla porter with 3 oz extract knockout and 3 oz extract in the bottling bucket. Was disappointed that there was no noticable vanilla flavor. I have tossed it back into the closet to condition for another month or so to see if the forward malts will peel back a bit.

I bought a bag that had about 8 whole Vanilla beans in it. I cut up 4 and boiled it with the wart then when I was switching from primary to secondary I added 4 more. It turned out really good.

I second using whole beans. My dad made Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter which he aged on two vanilla beans and the vanilla came through really well. Just make sure you check the beer often so the vanilla doesn't overpower the beer as my dad only kept it on the beans for 1 week!

He transferred it into secondary with the vanilla beans and some oak and aged it on them for a week (not really aging it that long but the vanilla and oak chips had reached their optimum level so he needed to bottle). You can age beer either in bulk (before bottling) or in bottles. The flavor's will change as a beer ages with some beers (IPA's and American Pale Ales for example) being best while they are young and other beers (Imperial Stouts and Barleywines for example) being best after extended periods of aging.

Latest posts

Back