Yeast starter... Still alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branCHEs

Reaction score
This is only the 2nd yeast starter I have done so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. I started this yeast starter on Wednesday night. It's Wyeast 1945 Neobritannia (specific to specific to Northern Brewer. Every time I stirred it it foamed up. Last time it foamed up was the last time I shook it; last night. It won't foam up this morning. How do I know if the yeast is alive or dead? How long before pitching should a yeast starter be made? Im brewing a big oatmeal stout. Thanks!

image-3591876646.jpg

I'm having the same issue with my first starter (WL 3711 French Saison). I was expecting a nice big krausen but it never really developed. I would be interested to know if it is normal as well.

P.S. I am getting some action in the airlock.

Anyone have any advice? There is still a chance that i brew tonight and i wand to be sure that the yeast is good. Thanks!

looks like the starter is done> To me it looks like there is lots of yeast there.....just cold crash, decant spent wort, and pitch into your batch of beer.

Cheeres

Does that mean put it in the fridge, let it settle, dump out most the wort, and pitch? How much wort do i dump? As much as i can with out dumping any sediment?

Yes, put it in the fridge for approximately 24 hours, decant (pour off) the clearish top layer, keep the bottom milky layer. Its ok if you dont decant it all. Lack of activity means the yeast are probably done doing their job on the starter.

I'm having the same issue with my first starter (WL 3711 French Saison). I was expecting a nice big krausen but it never really developed. I would be interested to know if it is normal as well.

P.S. I am getting some action in the airlock.

The yeast are probably just taking some time to wake up, thats the best reason to make a starter!

Yes.....you dump out as much of the spent wort as you can and pitch the rest, however I have read on the forums that you can pitch the whole thing as well. If you have chilled wort ready for yeast I would just pitch the thing.

Awesome to hear. Thats what i figured i just want to make sure. And one last question, how long will the yeast be good for. Kinda of had something come up and might not be able to brew tonight

Latest posts

Back