Yeast in keg - off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamatabrew

Reaction score
Curious how much yeast is "too much" in the keg. I primary in a better bottle and generally just go straight to the keg for secondary and serving. I use the same keg for both.

I'm not all that careful with the trub when I transfer my beer. I don't let the better bottle get stirred up but I also don't really make a huge effort to keep the transfer tubing above the trub layer when transferring my beer. So generally I carry over some yeast/trub into the keg when transferring.

My first few pints from the keg are usually a little cloudy but over the course of a couple of weeks the beer genearally clarifies nicely. My question is: do I need to worry about off flavors from autolysis/etc because I'm carrying over a layer of yeast into my keg? Do I need to spend the extra effort to filter out the transfer?

It depends on your personal preference and the style of the beer. With lighter and less complex beers, a load of trub and yeast can have a noticeable affect. In something like a stout it would be mush less noticeable. If your kegs are kept cool you don't generally have to worry about off flavors from the yeast. If you keep them at room temperature then you could have issues. If you can chill in the primary after fermentation is over for about a week or more and then transfer to the keg you'll notice a big difference in the clarity of your brew. For light and clear beers I like to do a secondary and chill for about 11 days before transferring to keg and I always siphon just off the trub layer, not from the bottom.

Some of this is personal preference. Try it both ways and see what you like.

Back