Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast cells estimate from volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Wyrmwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Yeast cells estimate from volume

How would I estimate how many yeast cells are in X cubic inches of settled yeast (like from yeast washing)? I know how to determine the volume, (pi * r ^2 * H) just not sure what to do from there.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a microscope, a hemocytometer, and a graduated cylinder and dilute the yeast and count the cells. You don't need a particularly strong microscope, you can probably pick up one used online.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
Get a microscope, a hemocytometer, and a graduated cylinder and dilute the yeast and count the cells. You don't need a particularly strong microscope, you can probably pick up one used online.
That seems very cool I must get a hemocytometer - and a lab coat to go with it!

Is there no "average" you could use for a rough guesstimate?
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
JohnMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

"Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per ml. This will very with the yeast strain. "

Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
bja
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
That seems very cool Is there no "average" you could use for a rough guesstimate?
How compacted is your yeast cake?

This is why there's no "average".

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Bitterbrush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was curious about how much yeast I was collecting after a wash also. Just guessing I usually have about a 1/4 cup of yeast solids in each pint jar after washing. This is pretty clean stuff so I would say that it surely meets the 40%-60% that Wyeast talks about here; http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

So 1/4 cup is about 60ml. 1.2 billion cells per ml. 60 x 1.2 billion = 72 billion.**

72 billion cells is a little short of a smack pack but plenty to do a 1 liter starter imho.

Correction
** I went back to Wyeast and looked at the info about harvesting yeast. It seems I'm measuring the yeast solids from the slurry. It's not 40% or 60% yeast solids from slurry, it's more like 100% yeast solids.

So I suppose that if 50% slurry gets you around 1.2 billion cells, then 100% solids should get you around 2.4 billion cells per ml of solids?

1/4 cup of solids is 60ml. 2.4 billion cells per ml. 60 x 2.4 billion = 144 billion cells!

Anyone else figure it like I am?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So, for each cubic inch, that's about 16ml and in my pint jars, about 8 cubic inches per inch of sediment. Most of mine are 1/8 to 1/4 inch, so between 1 and 2 cubic inches or between 16 and 32ml, or around 60 billion cells on average in a jar, say 50 to account for the slightly rounded end. So, for my next high gravity beer, brewtarget tells me I need 325 billion cells for 5 gallons at 1.096, or about 6 jars? Or should I just use a three or four jars and make a starter? (I have 8 jars.) I guess I should do the starter in any case, to ensure viability, but then how much do I need (or wait/keep adding until I have 300 billion in the starter?)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I respect the quest for knowledge, but I am glad that I do not take yeast counting so seriously.

Think ancient germans had a hemocytometer? Me either.

Methinks my best guess will be as accurate as your extrapolated hemocytometer findings, and will take 1/100000000 of the time and effort.

To each their own though.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I respect the quest for knowledge, but I am glad that I do not take yeast counting so seriously.

Think ancient germans had a hemocytometer? Me either.

Methinks my best guess will be as accurate as your extrapolated hemocytometer findings, and will take 1/100000000 of the time and effort.

To each their own though.

Care to give it a wag?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lol, How would we know?

I am just saying, batch for batch, even if you are 12% more accurate, will it make any measureable diff in the beer?

I doubt it. It's probably even less possible to measure that.

Quick Reply