Wyeast Belgian Abbey II wicked fermentarion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CavScout

Reaction score
I got this yeast along with a Phat Tyre clone kit from NB. What a wicked fermentation I have going on. :rockin:

Pitched last night (no starter) and saw some nice average/normal krausen this morning less than 12 hours. Packet took about 4-5 hours to swell fully.

Came home from work and looks like I almost had an uh oh. Krausen reside all the way up to where the neck starts on the carboy. It was back down to where it was this morning by the time I got home though.

The wort was a nice dark black/amber color. Now it looks like light brown muddy water with a storm going on inside of there. I can't see the top from krausen residue, but below it looks like a hurricane inside there.

Nice strong typical Belgian yeast fermentation smell coming through the vodka in the airlock. No different other than its stronger than other Belgian strains I've used in the past.

I'm anxious to see how this turns out. My taste buds are cringing to get a taste of how this is going to be when its carbed beer.

Any other experiences like this using this yeast?

Yes, I used it last year to make a Belgian Strong. It overflowed my ale pale three times, twice after sugar feedings. It took it from 1.073 to 1.010. Savage yeast.

Yes, I used it last year to make a Belgian Strong. It overflowed my ale pale three times, twice after sugar feedings. It took it from 1.073 to 1.010. Savage yeast.

How did they turn out if you don't mind me asking

Good, but with a noticeable alcohol taste. The temps got away from me. Supposed to be in the upper 70s, it went to the mid eighties. Only my wife and I have tried it, I'm bringing it to the homebrew club next week.

Good, but with a noticeable alcohol taste. The temps got away from me. Supposed to be in the upper 70s, it went to the mid eighties. Only my wife and I have tried it, I'm bringing it to the homebrew club next week.

I've used this yeast on big ~13%ABV barleywines in the past and found that it still is a very efficient strain as low as 65F. I've had it go from ~1.108 to ~1.016 in about 72 hours @ 66F. Anything above 72F for an extended amount of time will likely produce fusels in bigger beers. 80s and you're definitely going to have issues. That's just my personal experience with it.

Anything above 72F for an extended amount of time will likely produce fusels in bigger beers. 80s and you're definitely going to have issues. That's just my personal experience with it.

My experience is the same. This yeast ferments strong and the temp will get way above ambient quickly if you do not control it. The first time I used it I just set the fermenter in a 68 degree room because my chamber was full, and in a very short time it was above 80. Fusel bomb.

Back