Wyeast 3522 is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpelechaty

Reaction score
On monday I brewed a Belgian Dubbel with a starting gravity of 1.068 I made a yeast starter with yeast 3522 and let that ferment for a day and then pitched the whole thing into my 6 gallon batch. I did add a small amount of yeast nutrient and energizer and aerated with a stone for 5 min (as well as the transfer from kettle to fermenter).

Long story short I got an extremely violent fermentation and after taking a SG reading the yeast is at 1.012 which should mean its basically finished. I pitched the yeast at roughly 72 degrees and it was in a 68 degree room fermenting.

Is it normal for 3522 to finish that fast? It tasted a little harsh from the sample, but its only been 2 days so I'm not very worried about that.

Cheers,
Michael J. Pelechaty

I don't know because I have never done a gravity reading after only 2 days.I usually don't even check my Belgians for at least3-4 weeks.

3522 is a good yeast and everytime i have used it the brew finished pretty low. I am guesing that it will finish even lower. Let it sit for a while.

Except for the temperature which I pitched the yeast I had the same experience with the Wyeast 3522. I haven't checked the FG but assume that it is probably finished. Interesting...

Sounds like you did everything right, apart from wasting some oxygen. You're not putting any more O2 into solution after about of 1min at full blast. It's only so soluble. It's totally reasonable for a beer that size to ferment down that fast, but you'll probably want to leave it on the yeast for at least a week before bulk aging, but you could go a month or two with zero problems, probably be better than a secondary anyway. After that I'd probably still bulk age it or bottle condition.

I just brewed a Raison D'Etra clone with 3522. it was VERY violent. thank goodness i use a blow off tube. Started off with a 1.071 on Monday of this week. Tuesday morning it was going crazy this morning it was still going wild. I expect it to start slowing soon... so that sounds about right with yours.

Back