Wyeast 1214 - Abbey ale yeast temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I have a Belgian wheat going right now, and I'm leaving town for the weekend. This means I won't be around to swap out the frozen water bottles in my swamp cooler. I have it fermenting around 70 F now, and if I abandon it for a couple days it will probably get up 77-78 F. Since it will be out of the first 72 hours of fermentation by then, will it be the end of the world for it to sit at the high end of the temperature range for a while? I definitely want some esters, but I can do without the solventy flavors.

I have a Belgian wheat going right now, and I'm leaving town for the weekend. This means I won't be around to swap out the frozen water bottles in my swamp cooler. I have it fermenting around 70 F now, and if I abandon it for a couple days it will probably get up 77-78 F. Since it will be out of the first 72 hours of fermentation by then, will it be the end of the world for it to sit at the high end of the temperature range for a while? I definitely want some esters, but I can do without the solventy flavors.

I don't know if the higher temperature would give you off flavors or not. I don't have to much experience with the yeast you are using.

You could wrap your fermentor in a cotton towel or t-shirt and point a fan at it. This will hold the wort temp down.

If you take a look at the Wyeast website the recommended temp range is 68-78. I'd imagine that keeping it just under the 78 degree range should give you a beer w/ good esters.

If you take a look at the Wyeast website the recommended temp range is 68-78. I'd imagine that keeping it just under the 78 degree range should give you a beer w/ good esters.

But that range may not make the best beer. I prefer to keep 1214 well under 65 for at least the first 4-5 days. Higher than that can give you overwhelming banana/bubble gum esters. After that, it's fine to let the temp rise.

It ferments alright at 65? I would have assumed that would be too cold since 68 is the lower limit given on the wyeast page.

It ferments alright at 65? I would have assumed that would be too cold since 68 is the lower limit given on the wyeast page.

Heck, yes, it ferments fine at 60 or a bit below. Remember, those temp ranges are not hard and fast or even necessarily geared to the best flavor. For example, Wyeast 1450 came directly from my yeast bank. I gave them the temps I use it at and prefer for it. The temp ranges they ended up listing for it are higher than I would recommend.

Subd just because I have a 3L starter of this chugging along for the Dubbel I'm brewing this weekend.

Denny said:
But that range may not make the best beer. I prefer to keep 1214 well under 65 for at least the first 4-5 days. Higher than that can give you overwhelming banana/bubble gum esters. After that, it's fine to let the temp rise.
Some would tell you that they prefer those bubble gum ester flavors

That's the Chimay yeast, it likes to be up at those temperatures. Start cool and let it rise up to about 80 at the end of fermentation.

I'm glad this thread came up when it did. I had been planning a two-brew day this weekend - one Scottish 70/- and one Dubbel using 1214. I was going to put the Scottish in the ferm chamber nice and cool, and then let the Dubbel run in the 66 degree ambient temp basement, which would have been a mistake.

This thread seals it - Going to do the Dubbel next weekend. That way, the Scottish should be out of the ferm chamber and I can start the dubbel at 60 or even a little lower. Thanks, all, esp. Denny. Cheers!

I'll add my two cents here too - I did that dubbel and fermented it at 62. Then I washed the yeast and used it in Northern Brewer's Patersbier recipe, again fermenting at 62. Both were friggin' fantastic, especially the patersbier. Perfect balance of fruity spicy flavors.

Back