New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > would you use this yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default would you use this yeast?

At least a month ago I made a couple of starters, and never got to brew. I want to brew tonight. these were sanitized and on a stir plate for quite a while. I just turned the stir plate off and let em set in the fermentation room. They have been covered with sanitized aluminum foil but again have just been setting for at least 2 weeks unrefrigerated. It is s-05 yeast that I washed quite a while back. I cannot get to the lhbs to get more yeast. I can make another starter but this took a while to take off ... OR brew a different style of beer and use some s-04 or notty that I have in packets in the fridge. It isn't a major deal either way, I am just curious as to whether or not any of you would go ahead and pitch this yeast....BTW it is nice and white with no off color. I have not uncovered it to give it the " sniff test" though.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i would add fresh wort/dme+water for few hours just to refresh it and make sure its still working

Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciszew View Post
i would add fresh wort/dme+water for few hours just to refresh it and make sure its still working

thats what I was thinking
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

well I used it..no fresh wort...no build up. just decanted and put in the beer....almost 24 hours and nothing. I will give it a while longer then pour in a packet of dry.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The yeast in the starter should be Ok, only concern would be if something else might have gotten in. Give it a little longer and it will work fine.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

we have kraussen this morning!!! Longest lag time I can recall but it is working .

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply