WLP400 starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i have a vial of WLP400 for a saison ill be brewing. i have never used liquid yeast so im kind of excited! do i need to make a starter for this yeast or just pinch it directly?

it really depends, a starter will make the yeast healthier, and speed the start of fermentation, the OG of the batch will let you know if one vial will do it, or if you need more.

I've only used WLP400 once, and I just pitched it directly in. I had to install a blowoff tube a few hours later. That yeast is like a rollercoaster, it will go big and blow off, then seemingly stop, then get all riled up again. Oh, and I hope you have it somewhere where you don't go often - its has a very..... distinct.... smell once it gets going....

I just pitched my first vial of liquid (WLP400) about an hour ago. I asked my lhbs about a starter, and he told me that since my beer was not high gravity, (OG of 1.056), I would be fine just pitching without a starter.

Here's hoping! :mug:

Back