WLP001 At Coldish Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknunns

Reaction score
I have a batch going in my kitchen right now where I suspect ambient is probably in the 65 degree range. I know this is a little below the optimal temperature and I'm seeing significantly less flocculation than I did in the summer when the average temp was closer to 70-75. Anyone run this strain down at this temp and if so can you share experiences?

That is actually the ideal temperature for that yeast, anywhere from 65-68 F. The low 70's are as high as I would go.

I'm fermenting a pale ale with US-05 (same strain, just sold in dry form) at 55 F right now and it's doing fine.

I have a batch going in my kitchen right now where I suspect ambient is probably in the 65 degree range. I know this is a little below the optimal temperature and I'm seeing significantly less flocculation than I did in the summer when the average temp was closer to 70-75. Anyone run this strain down at this temp and if so can you share experiences?

You'll be fine, maybe better than fine. I use that yeast all the time and my basement is a consistent 66 degrees. I'd rather use it at 65 than 75, for sure.

Back