WL California V Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I started a five gallon batch pitched with White Labs Liquid California V Ale Yeast which was recommended for this particular brew. Its Hop Scare IPA from Midwest Supplies.

I pitched it at exactly 70F 36 hours ago. There is no activity but this morning there was at least some beginning of growth on the top.

Is this yeast a mistake? I read the reviews on the White Labs website and there were plenty of bad ones. They also suggest "rousing" it after a few days to get it to complete its job. How does one "rouse" the yeast? Stir? Swirl? Rack to another container? I guess I could do that but I generally don't use secondary fermentors.

Gently swirl the fermenter trying to get the cake at the bottom to mix into solution. Try not to do any sloshing since you do not want to introduce any oxygen at this point,

Do not rack to secondary as this would take the wort off of a large portion of the yeast which is in the cake.

I got home from work yesterday evening, right at the 46 hour mark for this brew, and it was churnin and burnin. Despite being surounded by jugs of ice, it is maintaining a temp of exactly 70F. Interestingly, no sulfur smell like all the reviews of this yeast had indicated I should expect.

WL California V is the same strain as Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, which is one of my house strains. It's a great yeast for many styles including IPAs. I've never had to roust it and I've never had a sulfer problem with it. Leave it alone and let it do it's thing and your beer will be fine.

That was my experience with WL California V as well. Took forever to get started but was pretty vigorous once it got going. I haven't tasted the finished product yet but the hydro sample was great while bottling.

I think you guys are right. Its doing its thing and actually, the room its in smells great. I'll let it go about three weeks and then keg with priming sugar for about 5 to 6 weeks. I'm getting more patient. Thanks for the input.

Back