New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why do people continue to try and cold ferment ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

You have to realize something about PACman yeast. It is fermented at different temps at Rogue, depending on the beer they are brewing. Even as low as 60 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byo magazine
The Rogue Says: Ferment and Condition at Cooler Temperatures
“Yeast is a good thing, and cooler is better. Even with our proprietary ‘Pacman’ ale yeast, we ferment at temperatures as low as 60 degrees Fahrenheit,” says John, adding that regardless of the yeast strain, constant temperature control will improve beer quality. With many strains, John suggests fermenting on the low side of the yeast’s optimum temperature range. This will create a smoother profile, with reduced fermentation esters —compounds that make a finished beer smell “fruity.”

Cooler fermentations will require slightly extended fermentation and conditioning periods, but this allows the flavors in big beers — styles with higher malt, alcohol and hop levels — to meld and mellow while remaining in contact with the yeast.
From the Wyeast website:

Quote:
“Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It’s very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60° F; once in a while for certain styles I’ll ferment as high as 70° F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient.”
- John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales www.rogue.com

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I know revvy, I have read all that literature from Rogue, in addition to a few podcasts with John M from Rogue. They ferment at 60 for everything but the barley wine supposedly which goes at 70 degrees.

I am reporting good success and clean fermentations as high as 72 degrees with pacman. However, my pacman is now 3rd generation and could very well be conditioned/mutated to ferment clean under my conditions.

I don't consider 60 to be super cold. There is just so much interest in using ale yeasts at lager temps, not sure I understand why when lager yeast is available.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why get your panties in a wad over what other people do?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Why get your panties in a wad over what other people do?
No panties here....just trying to make some conversation

Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
In general, though, I really don't understand the fascination with ultra-clean american-style ale yeasts. I do prefer to use slightly more characterful yeasts on the cooler side of their working ranges. 1272 is nice, and 65-68F (beer temp, not room temp!) is just perfect.
It depend on what I want to taste. If I'm looking to taste some clean malt, or have a crisp bitterness in a beer, then I don't want a bunch of esters from the yeast competing with those flavors. For some styles I do want the esters and then I adjust things as necessary to that end
Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think it is almost impossible to compare fermenting temperatures of a home brewer to that of a commercial operation. Too many factors like size of fermenter, geometry, yeast pitching rates, etc. go into the mix. So Rogues 60F might give different results than our 60F.

I started to get caught up in the fermenting colder thing, but stopped out at 64F as my low point with your normal ale yeast and usually shoot for 67-68F.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
bsdx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think all the talk you see of people making jet fuel beer at 80+ degrees drives people towards the other end where the results seem far less disastrous.

Charts that show measures of various characteristics over a range of fermentation temps would be pretty interesting, such as Diacetal, sulfur, phenols, etc. Alternate copies with a d-rest.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

because with certain strains you can get results similar to lagers....without taking as long as lagers or d-rests, etc.
also if your using an icebath, its not a big deal if you forget to swap out the frozen bottles one night verus if you were using a lager strain via frozenbottles in water

Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #19
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have settled on Pacman yeast as my house strain, and people make such a big stink about this yeast, and WLP029 among others, because they can ferment cool. I don't understand fully, why you would want to ferment top cropping ale yeast that cool. You get increased diacetyl (spelling), slower fermentations, longer lag times, potential under attenuation, the yeast may drop out...etc..etc. All because you think you are going to get a "cleaner" beer.

My experience, with both pacman and WLP029, is that you will get your cleanest beers between 65-70 degrees, with plenty of nutrient, O2 and plenty of healthy yeast from a proper starter. Make the yeast happy and they will give you clean, crisp beers..... if you want lager beer, get lager yeast and temperature control.

my two cents for the day.

I ferment all of my ales on the cooler range (especially pacman and nottingham), and I'm one of those who must have a slower fermentation, potential underattenuation, diacteyl laden, crappy beer I guess. all because I think I'm going to get a "cleaner" beer. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly homebrewer. If you're getting great results at 70 and can criticize my techniques, then I must be wrong. Good thing you'll never have to drink my pathetic attempts at ales.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have settled on Pacman yeast as my house strain, and people make such a big stink about this yeast, and WLP029 among others, because they can ferment cool. I don't understand fully, why you would want to ferment top cropping ale yeast that cool. You get increased diacetyl (spelling), slower fermentations, longer lag times, potential under attenuation, the yeast may drop out...etc..etc. All because you think you are going to get a "cleaner" beer.

My experience, with both pacman and WLP029, is that you will get your cleanest beers between 65-70 degrees, with plenty of nutrient, O2 and plenty of healthy yeast from a proper starter. Make the yeast happy and they will give you clean, crisp beers..... if you want lager beer, get lager yeast and temperature control.

my two cents for the day.

Seems to me if you're getting diacetyl, under attenuation, and the yeast is dropping out just from fermenting on the cool side then you may not be 'pitching plenty of healthy yeast from a proper starter'...'with plenty of nutrient <and> O2'. Lots of people ferment cool and don't have those problems. Just clean, crisp beers.

I don't think general statements like 'slower fermentations' or 'longer lag times' being necessarily bad are correct. Relative to what? You typically don't want the yeast going total gangbusters...you want it slower than that. And a lag time of 24 hours vs. 6 or whatever isn't really that big of a deal imo.

Then there are some of us that like to start cool (sometimes really cool when pitching) and then let it warm a bit as fermentation winds down. But I must admit, I do that because I'm lazy and don't want to keep swapping out frozen water bottles/ice packs...and I can get away with it.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply