White Labs container survive pressure cooking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you just looking to sanitize it? How about sanitizer, or perhaps isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and an air dry?

I did it recently , 15 psi for 15, it shrunk, and turned kinda opaque . I didn't end up using it cause I was worried about the tube releasing some chemicals or something

A little off topic but, someone told me the White Labs containers were actually one liter bottle blanks (preforms) that had not been formed?

They sure are, this pic is from Wikipedia:

Plastic_bottle.jpg

Well, I did by glass tubes and they are working fine. But, I do have bunches of the spent tubes from White Labs lying aroung.

I'll do the test, in a couple weeks or more and report back.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RYF8KW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Q2t5ub0194NT8

I got these. Definitely need a nice small inoculation loop, partly because you only need a tiny bit but mainly because the neck on this is small. I personally like the height of them but would prefer a few more mm of width. Whatever you choose, make sure you get a screw cap and Borosilicate glass so it's all autoclavable and easy to seal. I also got a test tube rack that helps tilt them to a 5 degree tilt so I can have use up most of the length of the tube and capture more cells.

Essentially, I plate, then slant, then do a stepped starter with the preferred stain from the library of slants.

Back