Washing yeast with loads of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
So I know that yeast washing can be effective in separating hops/trub from a yeast cake. But I'm currently fermenting an IPA that has 4 oz. of hop pellets that I did not strain out. I mean there is like a 3-4 inch layer of hop residue. Is this too many hops to effectively wash out? I'd basically be using the yeast washing wiki from this site.

AFAIK, its fine to do. I haven't had any issues when I've done it.

why not strain out the hops, with the yeasties going into a new starter.
once it is done, pitch and or wash??

shouldn't be a problem....but easier on you and problem solved if you can keep hops out of the primary with bags or kettle screen....if yeast start eating hops I think that can add some nasty

if yeast start eating hops I think that can add some nasty

I doubt this? Yeast don't eat hops they may use some of the compounds from Hops dissolved in the wort but that is all.

The reason you should wash the yeast is to get rid of hops and trub that can effect the flavor of the next batch.

Typically you would not reuse yeast from and IPA due to the increased risk of mutations in a bigger beer = more yeast stress = more mutations + the hassle of the extra hop mess to be washed.

Clem

I have successully washed yeast from a highly hopped IPA, even one with dry hopping in primary, so the yeast cake/trub at the bottom of my fermenter is 2" - 3". What has worked for me is to do the initial rinse twice. I add a quart of boiled/cooled water to the frementor, shake, let settle, and then poor off into a large mason jar with lid. To that I add another pint or two of boiled/cooled water and shake again, than poor off the top layer of yeast/beer into my smaller mason jars for storage.

Frankly I think it's easier to just wash yeast from my lower hopped brews. I usually get 3 viable jars of yeast per batch, so if I don't bother washing a batch I still have two others in the fridge.

Good luck!

Alan

Latest posts

Back