Using keg as primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a 3G batch of IPA and I am trying out using a keg as a primary in hopes to keep aeration down once fermentation is done. It's been fermenting for almost a week now. Had decent (slower) fermentation bubbles in the air lock for about 48-72 hrs using us-05 yeast. My concern is that usually the kids on kegs don't deal complete unless they are pressurized correct? So, I didn't do this. I just pored the wort, aerated with oxygen and put the lid on with airlock. So, should I have pressured and purged with co2 once I put the lid on and then left it be, or do you think it would be ok???

So I recently brewed a 3G batch of IPA and I am trying out using a keg as a primary in hopes to keep aeration down once fermentation is done. It's been fermenting for almost a week now. Had decent (slower) fermentation bubbles in the air lock for about 48-72 hrs using us-05 yeast. My concern is that usually the kids on kegs don't deal complete unless they are pressurized correct? So, I didn't do this. I just pored the wort, aerated with oxygen and put the lid on with airlock. So, should I have pressured and purged with co2 once I put the lid on and then left it be, or do you think it would be ok???

It's fine; in the first day the yeast ate all the oxygen available in the air. What makes fermenting in kegs great is that you can very easily do closed transfer to secondary or serving tank - when you do this, be sure to purge the keg you transfer to with CO2 since you only want oxygen before the fermentation occurs.

My concern is that usually the kids on kegs don't deal complete

I hate those dang kids that hang out on my kegs and don't deal ;)

If you've got it fitted with an airlock then you wouldn't have been able to pressurize it anyway. If you want to seal it up now that the bulk of fermentation is done then yeah, you may need to hit it with a burst of CO2. Some of my kegs seal better than others without much if any added pressure, especially if I use keg lube on the O ring.

I'm curious, as I haven't fermented in a keg before, what type of keg are you using? corny or sanke? How did you put an airlock on ? In one of the posts? I'm thinking this may be a nice way do a closed system...

I'll be trying out fermenting in a keg by just removing one of the posts and attaching a blowoff tube with a hose clamp.

I'll be trying out fermenting in a keg by just removing one of the posts and attaching a blowoff tube with a hose clamp.

I have done this with success and didn't even need the clamp. I've also had success with carving out the bottom of a rubber bung so that it will fit over the post. Just make sure you don't do something silly like put your airlock / blow off over top of the liquid dip tube. That would end poorly.

I have done this with success and didn't even need the clamp. I've also had success with carving out the bottom of a rubber bung so that it will fit over the post. Just make sure you don't do something silly like put your airlock / blow off over top of the liquid dip tube. That would end poorly.

Very good point on the dip tube. I always remove the dip tube anyhow, as cleaning that out after fermentation certainly isn't all that fun.

Here's what I use for airlock. Works like a charm and you can close-transfer to the serving keg. I usually brew 4-4.5 gallon batches. Sometimes I'll brew 6 gallon batches and split it between two kegs and combine in the serving keg. I bent the liquid dip tubes so there's about 1/2 to 1/3 gallon deadspace so I don't pick up yeast or hop trub.

20150102_170113_LLS.jpg

Back