Too little yeast from harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy66

Reaction score
I tried to wash my yeast, so I could reuse later, for the first time today. I've watched videos online, and it always seems they had a larger yeast layer. In my picture, the thin white line is my yeast, right? Seems like so little compared to what I've seen. Some info:

- 5 gallon IPA batch
- American 1056 yeast
- OG 1.060
- FG 1.020
- Did not do yeast starter (yes, I will do in future)
- 2 weeks in primary
- No secondary

If that white line is my yeast, will it be enough for my next 5 gallon batch?

IMG_20130327_130322 (2).jpg

The white line is yeast yes, but there is tons of yeast in the darker layer, basically that entire thick slurry portion contains yeast, looks like you have plenty.

So save the slurry? That is all the trub from the bottom of the bucket... Save it? Smells like the hops I used, bit of green from them too. Will that make a difference?

So save the slurry? That is all the trub from the bottom of the bucket... Save it? Smells like the hops I used, bit of green from them too. Will that make a difference?

You could wash it and get the hoppy trub out.

Ie been pitching yeast slurry that dirty into my beers, I just make sure they are as hoppy as the batch the yeast came from, or just not a lightly hopped style. They've been some of the best beers I've made yet. If you want to wash it again feel free but I wouldn't be too worried as long as you use it soonish.

How big is that jar? When I wash yeast I put it in pint mason jars and there is only 1/2 an inch of yeast on the bottom of the jar. I decant the brown water off the top warm it up and pitch it into a 1500 ML or so starter when I'm ready to use it, works great every time.

That's plenty, I've used the same amount (from what i can tell with the size of that jar) and made a starter with it...it took off like always, crazy, and made a fine beer. I would consider using it in another IPA though.

Latest posts

Back