Tons of yeast came out of blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yrntugolfn

Reaction score
I just brewed a dunkelweizen last weekend and pitched Wyeast 3068. I expected there to be heavy fermentation so I added a blow off tube. As the fermentation slowed down I swapped my blow off tube out for an air lock today (5 days after pitching yeast). When I went to empty the gallon jug I used for the blow off there was probably about a 1/2" of yeast layering the bottom of the jug. In previous batches I've had yeast layering the jug but this seemed like a ton. Is this normal?

Another thing to note:
Og-1.046
Current gravity- ~1.025

You'll be fine. There are plently of yeast in suspension to finish the brew.

3068 is known for it's insane fermentations.

Beer at high fermentation contains as many as 50 million yeast cells per ml of beer! You still have plenty of yeast to finish the beer, clean up, and bottle carbonate.

I hate losing beer through the blowoff tube (less for me to drink) but it is perfectly normal.

Agree with the others...I would have more concern if that didn't happen with that yeast.

welcome to the club... I have been fermenting 5.5gal in 6gal better bottles lately and always have yeast in my blowoff bucket...

Yeah I expected there to be some yeast but was kind of surprised how much came out this time so it's great to hear other's thoughts and experiences.

Back