Stout Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bedhedted

Reaction score
I have always wondered how different stouts are from other ales and now that I want to brew one, I am specifically curious how long one should let a stout ferment. The recipe I found seems quite appitizing to me and looks to have fermentables out the bum that the yeast will be wanting to gobble up while fighting through the glutens:

"Quaker Stout"

6lbs amber malt syrup
2lbs Dark DME
3/4lbs English Crystal Malt, 70-80L
1/2lbs Chocolate Malt
1/4lbs Roasted Barley
1lb Rolled Oats
1/2 stick Brewers Licorice

1oz Chinook, 60min
2oz Willamette, 1oz 60min and 1oz 3min

Wyeast Irish Ale

The only difference between the recipe written and what I'm going to use is that I will use a hefty starter. The reason I feel lost is I have only made IPAs and Pale Ales hence only fermenting those types. I have always done a second fermentation. What is the traditional methodology towards fermenting a Stout? Is it a longer process than other ales? Does it need to be put in second fermentation (especially with this recipe)? It's like a "lions, tigers, and bears..." situation for me, and I don't feel it needs to be that way.

if you use regular oats, boil them first before adding them to the mash to geletanize the starches...if you dont, use instant oats.

same process. You can still do a secondary if you wish but i only use a long primary(4 weeks) and then to the bottling bucket. Unless your messing with water chemistry its going to be very much the same as any other beer. Per bjcp you may want to add carbinates to the water if your using soft water.

Looks like a good recipe

yeast is rated from 62-72...from their website:

"This yeast ferments well in dark roast worts. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce dry and crisp beers to fruity beers with nice complexity in the upper range. Ester production is enhanced with fermentation temperatures above 64 degrees F (18 C). Flocculation is low to moderate with filtration typically required. "

Personally i like my stouts on the cold side. id keep it below 67 with this yeast if you have that much control over your fermentatyion temps. Remeber that the fermenting beer is around 5-7 degrees hotter than the ambient air temp

Back