Starter not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyvjpv

Reaction score
I used a Wyyeast smack pack for the first time yesterday. The package wasn't brand new (purchased in May) so I wasn't surprised that it didn't seem to bulge all that vigorously, but it did a bit. I put it into a starter, and 24 hours later it has very little activity and certainly doesn't have a krausen layer on top. Just a few bubbles here and there. I'm wondering if because it was a bit older it might just be taking longer? Any thoughts?

What kind of yeast are you using?

I have never seen a vigorous starter. I use either Cali or English strains of ale yeast and mostly just have bubbles here and there. Are you using a stir plate? Swirling it whenever you walk by?

I used a Wyyeast smack pack for the first time yesterday. The package wasn't brand new (purchased in May) so I wasn't surprised that it didn't seem to bulge all that vigorously, but it did a bit. I put it into a starter, and 24 hours later it has very little activity and certainly doesn't have a krausen layer on top. Just a few bubbles here and there. I'm wondering if because it was a bit older it might just be taking longer? Any thoughts?

Yes, it will take longer because it is older. It isn't a lager yeast by any chance is it? Even perfectly healthy lager yeast can have a pretty good lag.

What kind of yeast are you using?

I have never seen a vigorous starter. I use either Cali or English strains of ale yeast and mostly just have bubbles here and there. Are you using a stir plate? Swirling it whenever you walk by?

Sorry, missed a couple of details there. I'm using a Belgian Wit yeast. Just the occasional swirl method. On the couple of yeasts I've used before to make a starter this way they usually have a layer of foam on top, sometimes almost to overflowing, so I'm noticing the difference. But first time using this yeast.

Yes, it will take longer because it is older. It isn't a lager yeast by any chance is it? Even perfectly healthy lager yeast can have a pretty good lag.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the age of the yeast is the issue. Hopefully it wasn't so old that it doesn't take off at all. I'll keep an eye on it. On the plus side, if I had just pitched it directly I'd be worried about losing the whole batch. If this doesn't work I'll just go buy some fresh!

Belgian Wit yeast, haven't braved the lager brew yet :)

Thanks for the info. Looks like the age of the yeast is the issue. Hopefully it wasn't so old that it doesn't take off at all. I'll keep an eye on it. On the plus side, if I had just pitched it directly I'd be worried about losing the whole batch. If this doesn't work I'll just go buy some fresh!

Belgian Wit yeast, haven't braved the lager brew yet :)

It will start, I guarantee you. I've used vials and smack packs the were YEARS old, so old that the yeast had gone brown, and they still made a pitchable quantity of yeast. It just took about a week.

Purchased in May, but what is the production date of the yeast? Swirl and shake your container. The shake will aerate the wort better. Take the air lock off, if you have one on. Use a lid of sanitized foil for air/CO2 exchange.

I use a stirplate and see varying amounts of krausen from none (quite often) and once it overflowed.

Look for a change in color. If possible you could take a gravity reading.

With yeast that old I would make a stepped starter starting with a smaller weaker wort for a first step then a second one calculated for the gravity of the current recipe.

I use a stir plate and generally don't see krausen in the starter.

I had one crap out like this too. It was a Wyeast smack pack. Ended up having to pitch some Nottingham instead.

You should be able to see the yeast accumulate at the bottom of the container. If the layer did not get any bigger, you're probably not growing any yeast.

I'd give it a little more time if you've got it, otherwise I'd get fresh yeast.

I've only ever used a stir plate so have no experience with other methods but I always get at least an inch of krausen on my starters, usually double that.

It will start, I guarantee you. I've used vials and smack packs the were YEARS old, so old that the yeast had gone brown, and they still made a pitchable quantity of yeast. It just took about a week.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I was looking at it this morning and wodnering if I should start thinking about plan B. I'll wait it out a bit longer.

Purchased in May, but what is the production date of the yeast? Swirl and shake your container. The shake will aerate the wort better. Take the air lock off, if you have one on. Use a lid of sanitized foil for air/CO2 exchange.

I should have said production date was May, honestly I can't quite recall the exact date I picked it up, just notived May on the package and figured it must have been "around there".

So you're suggesting I clamp foil on there and shake it like a martini shaker? I've got a foil lid on it now (no airlock) and sanitized that before putting it on. Just shake it with that on?

I had one crap out like this too. It was a Wyeast smack pack. Ended up having to pitch some Nottingham instead.

You should be able to see the yeast accumulate at the bottom of the container. If the layer did not get any bigger, you're probably not growing any yeast.

I'd give it a little more time if you've got it, otherwise I'd get fresh yeast.

I have noticed the layer on the bottom when I go to swirl, but haven't noticed if it has gotten bigger, will keep an eye on that.

If it never takes off for some reason would you pitch the new yeast on top of this starter, or go with a brand new one?

Give it a little time. If you are already seeing a layer of yeast at the bottom, thats a good sign. You could take a gravity reading now and one in a few days to see if there is a drop in gravity.
If gravity has dropped, yeast is doing its thing. but its only been 1 day. Just give it some time.

I have noticed the layer on the bottom when I go to swirl, but haven't noticed if it has gotten bigger, will keep an eye on that.

If it never takes off for some reason would you pitch the new yeast on top of this starter, or go with a brand new one?

There is usually a significant color change as well. The starter will being fairly dark, and turn to a cream or light tan as the yeast multiply.

There is usually a significant color change as well. The starter will being fairly dark, and turn to a cream or light tan as the yeast multiply.

Also good info to know, thanks!
I have noticed in between stirrings there's a layering thing going on, bottom little bit of light tan yeast, middle majority of apple cider colored brown, and on top of that is a small layer (about as thick as the yeast layer) of clear brown liquid, totally transparent. I'm guessing that is just wort with less particles in solution, floating on top of the more settled denser stuff, but wondered if it has anything to do with the yeast at work.

Yep - If you put that in the fridge to cold crash the layering is even more apparent. Over time the yeast precipitate out and settle to the bottom.

If you plan on doing starters I highly recommend getting a stir plate. It really maximizes the amount of yeast you'll get. I picked mine up on E-Bay for around $30 each. The lab grade stir-plates will last forever, they are built to run continuously, and they can handle spills.

Yep - If you put that in the fridge to cold crash the layering is even more apparent. Over time the yeast precipitate out and settle to the bottom.

If you plan on doing starters I highly recommend getting a stir plate. It really maximizes the amount of yeast you'll get. I picked mine up on E-Bay for around $30 each. The lab grade stir-plates will last forever, they are built to run continuously, and they can handle spills.

I've probably got the same stirplate, it kind of sucks but it gets the job done lol... can handle 1500ml pretty easily

Back