Starter from bottle cultured yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
So I plan on brewing a NB Ranger IPA clone on Sunday, and I'm wanting to try it with Pacman yeast. Would the yeast from 6 12 oz bottles and a bomber be enough to begin a starter on Friday afternoon and be ready to pitch by Sunday morning? It would be on a stir plate, so that would help things get going I'm assuming.

If not, I have about 100mL of WLP001 I washed that I could get going in a starter.

Oh yeah, OG is supposed to be about 1.064.

I have this exact question as well.

Are you making a 1L starter? I harvested some Bell's yeast and have it already going in a growler I have no idea how much yeast I got out of the harvest (5 12oz bottles) or how much the starter yielded. I got the starter going this past Saturday and it appears to be mostly done but will need to check gravity to be certain.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in with some insight.

I have this exact question as well.

Are you making a 1L starter? I harvested some Bell's yeast and have it already going in a growler I have no idea how much yeast I got out of the harvest (5 12oz bottles) or how much the starter yielded. I got the starter going this past Saturday and it appears to be mostly done but will need to check gravity to be certain.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in with some insight.

Guessing at Mr Malty numbers, I came out with a 1.78L starter with a stir plate. Unless someone says different, I'm just going to go with this and hope for the best if things are looking alright. I'm guessing with plenty of yeast nutrient in the starter and aerating the wort properly I'll be fine.

Couldn't figure out Mr Malty. How do you calculate starter size based on harvested yeast? I wouldn't say the yeast in each bottle of Two Hearted Ale was of equal quantity.

Yeast nutrient! Excellent idea. Must stop at the LHBS tomorrow to pick some up.

Latest posts

Back