Splitting yeast cake from 10 gallon batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
I'm brewing tomorrow night, probably going to brew 2 - 10 gallon batches and wondering if I keg my 10 gallons of wheat tomorrow can I split that yeast cake and ferment my 2 new batches?

1. keg 10 gallons of wheat
2. brew 2 - 10 gallon batches
3. ferment 2 new beers with split cake from wheat.

???? can I do it???? is that enough yeast is the real question?

As always thanks...

I'm brewing tomorrow night, probably going to brew 2 - 10 gallon batches and wondering if I keg my 10 gallons of wheat tomorrow can I split that yeast cake and ferment my 2 new batches?

1. keg 10 gallons of wheat
2. brew 2 - 10 gallon batches
3. ferment 2 new beers with split cake from wheat.

???? can I do it???? is that enough yeast is the real question?

As always thanks...

sure, you can do that, but it's probably too much yeast. I'd look at mrmalty.com and go to the yeast pitching calculator to see how much slurry would be optimum, and then just save the extra yeast in a sanitized jar for another batch. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

As an example, 10 gallons of 1.050 ale using fresh yeast like that will need a total of 177 ml of yeast slurry. So, putting 90 ml in each fermenter would be more than adequate.

I do this all the time, and save yeast for weeks in the fridge and then simply make a starter for the next 10 gallon batch. I only buy yeast about twice per year, doing this!

awesome.. Thanks. Just saved me $10... I think i'll wash the yeast then and try to use more of a recommended amount.

Back